BB standard on this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I tried googling really hard but am struggling to find concrete confirmation on what BB standard is this bike: TCX 3 2012

Am I right in thinking it's a 19mm bearing inner diameter? I.e. 19mm crank spindle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
BB86 pressfit isn't it? 24mm spindle. Shimano compatible.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
from the link you provided, it clearly says "Mega Exo press fit".

if you have the bike in your possession, then whip the cranks off and have a proper look. Otherwise its just a guess. @Cycleops has as usual quoted the first hit on google, which you probably found yourself anyway and then looked deeper and hence your OP

FSA Mega Exo ranges covers a lot of standards over the years, to fit standard threaded and one of the myriad of Press fit BB shells.
https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/...s?product_type=1483&s_compatibility=1840_2029
show just the current choices of BB shell compatibility from FSA for MegaExo and both 24mm and 19mm choices and since 2012 products may well have been discontinued / replaced.

Giant customer services may be able to tell you from the original detailed spec on the BB shell / BB if your aren't in a position to look at the bike.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Yes, really looked into it and the more I looked the more confusing it got. Even tried finding replacement cranks and BB to see the spec sheet. Problem I found is that there are newer products with the same name and it seems impossible to find info on what was the spec in 2012.

I don't have the bike but thought about buying and fitting some spare Ultegra 6800 I have.

But - as long as it's PF86 'hole' I can just replace the BB with one that would accommodate a 24mm spindle, correct? I actually have one spare from my TCR frame.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Absolutely. there will be a BB in there that fits the BB shell . That BB is clearly replaceable if it doesn't match the cranks, but if its a press fit (probably PF86) you obviously need the correct bearing press tool or its an LBS job. The spare from your TCR will almost certainly fit as both Giants so should be using same press fit BB standard

If you can find one in stock !!! Token also do a Ninja BB for the various PF standards, which screws together and pulls into the press fit fittings in the shell, effectively converting your PF to a screw fit, with top notch bearings and a better solution not prone to the creaking that some PF BB's get.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Absolutely. there will be a BB in there that fits the BB shell . That BB is clearly replaceable if it doesn't match the cranks, but if its a press fit (probably PF86) you obviously need the correct bearing press tool or its an LBS job. The spare from your TCR will almost certainly fit as both Giants so should be using same press fit BB standard

If you can find one in stock !!! Token also do a Ninja BB for the various PF standards, which screws together and pulls into the press fit fittings in the shell, effectively converting your PF to a screw fit, with top notch bearings and a better solution not prone to the creaking that some PF BB's get.
Alright then, sounds like a project :becool:

Have the PFBB removal and fitting tool so should be fine.

Top Bottom