Be careful with your D Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

A year or two ago I worked at a school. I was asked to remove all of the discarded locks left on the bike shed. Armed with nothing but a hacksaw I was expecting to be there all day / wasting my time. However, I was amazed at just how easy it was to cut the locks off. 10 minutes later the job was done. On the other hand I have a silver standard D-lock locked to a ground anchor in my shed. The locks rusted solid and can't be unlocked. I've given up trying to get this lock off. Hammers / crowbar and hacksawing just didn't seem to work.

Last year I think it was, On TV, the police had set up a camera looking at a bike rack in London,
A bloke in all the cycling togs rides up parks his bike in the rack, walks over to as really expensive bike.
Gets a small bottle jack out of his pack, looks round puts jack inside of the D lock, pumps like mad and bingo the lock fails.
As the hardend steel u tube is ripped out of the locks body, it seems the lock mech. itself is made of brass so it does not rust.
Took him less than a minute, and off he cycles, only to have his collar felt shortly afterwards.

A few years ago I had one of my cycles stolen, and that was a grinder job, all done in about 20 min's.
I have stopped using the D locks, now have gone over to cables, cos if they want your bike it seems they can with out any effort.

Last year I think it was, On TV, the police had set up a camera looking at a bike rack in London,
A bloke in all the cycling togs rides up parks his bike in the rack, walks over to as really expensive bike.
Gets a small bottle jack out of his pack, looks round puts jack inside of the D lock, pumps like mad and bingo the lock fails.
As the hardend steel u tube is ripped out of the locks body, it seems the lock mech. itself is made of brass so it does not rust.
Took him less than a minute, and off he cycles, only to have his collar felt shortly afterwards.

A few years ago I had one of my cycles stolen, and that was a grinder job, all done in about 20 min's.
I have stopped using the D locks, now have gone over to cables, cos if they want your bike it seems they can with out any effort.

Like most things, if someone wants something that badly they will go to all lengths to get it. No lock or alarm will stop them.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Lock%20bike.jpg

:eek:

kewb

once saved a kid a long walk home when their bike was locked up to a railing with a   lock and the key was lost  ,

they were on the phone to a parent and said it was ok to break it ,

i bust it in under 2 secounds with a screwdriver using it like a tourniquet .

Top Bottom