Bealach na ba

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronmac

I'm just back from an Applecross trip. Thought I'd post this for anyone that may be contemplating similar.
Had a good trip but as usual did too much in too short a space of time, i.e. 233 hilly miles in a 57 hour period, most of it with the camping gear on board.
It went as follows :
Friday : Fort William to Loch Carron (about 88 miles). Very hilly, especially the last 18 miles to Loch Carron when I was knackered anyway. Got a puncture at the top of one hill which made me have an enforced rest (a blessing in disguise). Stayed in campsite at Loch Carron for £4 a night.
Saturday : Cycled the Beala from East to West which is the steep way. I didn't find it too difficult as left gear at campsite. It's about 4 miles to summit from that end and the first 2.5 or so is fairly gradual. The steep, hairpin bends come at the last 1 to 1.5 miles. I just took my time and stopped every few hundred yards to let pulse slow down and lactic acid disippate. It was a brilliant run of about 6 miles down other side. Stunning scenery all round on both sides.
Applecross nice little spot. Pub was very busy so only had a coke and then cycled round peninsula back to Loch Carron. Rain came in about 13 miles from Loch Carron so couldn't have got any wetter if I had jumped in the Loch. Cycle round peninsula was quite hilly, but beautiful. Total distance about 57 miles.
Sunday : Still pouring rain so got soaked while dismantling tent etc.. Cycled the 88 miles back to Fort William. The first 5 hours were horrendous, lashing rain. Sun came out for last 4 hours which was very welcome and dried me out. Nearly got run off road while whizzing down Glen Garry about 30+ mph. This idiot coming up the hill was overtaking a row of about 8 cars. He had crossed double white line to do so. Fortunately I saw him coming and got over as far as I could. Still there was only inches between us when he passed at about 60 mph.

Monday : Stayed in Glen Nevis campsite on Sunday night (£9). Absolutely massive campsite and very busy, but well run. Had contemplated cycling the 100 mile back to Erskine but felt I had done enough in last 3 days so treated myself to train. Just as well as I felt very queasy on Monday. Either some sort of exhaustion or I picked something up when getting soaked. Still, another memorable trip. Cheers. Ron.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Sounds like a great trip, any pictures??

Yes it does sound good, hard work with typical highland weather. I warned Kirsty about that part of the A82, nightmare road.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

In reply to last 2 posts :

1. Sorry, I'm not into photography so no pictures. But there are plenty of pictures on internet if you do a search for "bealach na ba". Also - I've just discovered Google Earth and have been going over whole area both with normal keystrokes and in flight simulator. They're not difficult to use if you take a little time to learn the basic keystrokes. Brilliant for reconnaisance of any trip, anywhere.

2. Yeah, Both the A82 and A87 are very busy. Why is everybody in such a hurry ? I feel it's just a matter of luck if I become a statistic or not. Cheers.

Top Bottom