Beating the Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Isn't it satisfying when you can see that no matter how fancy the car, sometimes they just don't get there any quicker than a bicycle.

This morning on the last part of my short 6 mile journey a huge sports car pulled out onto the main road about 100 yards up ahead of me. I could hear it burbling along way before I saw it. Must have had at least a V8 and several hundred horsepower. And yet despite all this power it just didn't get through the traffic quicker than my modest stead powered only by my sun starved lilly-white legs. Hah!

Yes, it's one of the up-sides!

OTOH, this tends to happen on certain journeys only. Once you hit a clear stretch of road, it's a different story. I often keep pace with or pass vehicles only to have them pass me later in the journey. It all depends on particular road conditions and the time and length of the journey.

And there are times when it's pouring and a nice cosy car seems to have its advantages! :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, very satisfying! I'm "lucky" in that my commute gives loads of opportunities for passing cars. During most times I commute I can stay roughly level with the traffic for most of the commute, but during rush hour the cars lose out badly.

Every now and then I'll cheekily tell someone I've been with in the traffic that they need a faster car or to take it to the garage. Usually gets a good laugh.

thomas

the tank engine
One of the reason I cycled the 15 miles to work for my summer job was because in school time the traffic in my area took so long that the speedy A road there only just made up enough time to be about equal with a bike. Out of school time it was about 30 minutes slower though. I did get great pleasure being able to overtake all the cars in the traffic though.

Niall McL

On Saturday on the way in for a late shift I managed to stay ahead of a big fancy Range Rover over a distance of about 8 miles. Passing Celtic Park just before their Scottish Cup tie helped a bit but still not bad going I thought.

PBancroft

When I do drive, I park out of town. I really don't understand why more people don't do this.

I walk for a mile to get to work. In that time I walk past a stationary queue of traffic (and sometimes recognise colleagues in the cars). I save the cost of parking, the fuel burnt up sat on the road not doing anything, and gain the exercise, and arive at work earlier (or have a slightly longer lie in).

But some folks just want to park "closer" to the office... except they don't. They park further away, and pay for the priviledge and for the bus which carries them back the same route towards the workplace.

All a bit odd.

I enjoyed doing this the other week: I saw a car emerge from a cul-de-sac about a mile from the Leisure Centre where I shower on my way to work. I later saw the car pull into the car park of said Leisure Centre .. I'd locked the bike up, removed lights, computer, etc. and was on my way into the building: it's one mile by bike or on foot, maybe three miles on four wheels, with half a dozen sets of traffic lights. Gotta wonder why she didn't walk or ride to work ..

Top Bottom