Been to York for a stag weekend at the races...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....and enjoyed it thoroughly. One thing though, we spent some time perambulating about York Friday/Saturday night and I was heartened to see how many cyclists there were. However, as well as the usual unlit teenage ninjas there were a goodly proportion of adults who looked like they 'should have known better' who were also riding without lights. Do people think they are immune from the kinetic energy they will absorb because they are in a minster town? Or is this the unlimate example of 'opp North' toughness coming to the fore?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's generally very chaotic right in the city centre. York (North Yorkshire) also has a dearth of bridges so you tend to see cyclists congregating in similar places.

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
It's generally very chaotic right in the city centre. York (North Yorkshire) also has a dearth of bridges so you tend to see cyclists congregating in similar places.

A dearth? <counts> 6 within the outer ring road? Although one is a footbridge and closed at the moment. I hardly ever find myself needing to swim across.

I wonder if any of the 'should have known betters' had been caught out by the shortening eveings (only a defence of course if it was soon after dusk. If it was 10 pm, then even the dippiest should have known it would be dark).

You do get those adults who should know better, they jump red lights and ride on the pavement too. I suspect you get a similar proportion of the total cyclist population almost anywhere - as York has so many cyclists, the daft ones are more visible (if you see what I mean).

Top Bottom