before a 4 day cycle. Preparation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone have any usefull info about carb loading and tapering training before a four day 300 mile cycle (not a race)
Its in 6 days time. What sort of riding should be done now, if any?
Thanks in advance

amaferanga

Veteran
No riding that you do now is going to have much if any effect on the ride so best thing to do is take it easy, maybe go for a light spin or something, but nothing too strenuous. In terms of carb loading - just eat normal amounts of pasta/rice/potatoes in the few days before the ride. People often see carb loading as an excuse to pig-out, but all it really achieves is a gain in weight.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Is this at touring pace and how much stuff are you carrying?

I've never worried too much about changing my diet before touring, just made sure I had a good breakfast lunch and dinner each day during the tour and seemed to be ok.

OP
OP
S

S London wheeler

Is this at touring pace and how much stuff are you carrying?

We have 95 hilly miles ( London to Dover) in 9.5 hours on day 1 of 4 to do
not carrying much
Im wondering if it would be a negative to go for some hills and 20- 30 miles at the weekend ie 5 days before I go

amaferanga

Veteran
5 days of complete rest after a 20-30 mile ride should be plenty of time to recover! If its not how on earth are you going to cope with riding 4 days in a row? As I said above, complete rest probably isn't necessary so keep riding, but no riding you do now will make you faster or make the ride easier.

doog

Dont bother with hills - a nice ride just to make sure the bike is working okay a day or two before hand. As for carb loading, no point really just munch little and often and keep hydrated on Day 1, the adrenalin will get you through it all.

Top Bottom