Before I rebuild my first wheel....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I am planning on taking the front wheel of my apollo apart then building it back together again, but I have a few questions first:

1) Will I need to label the spokes? (Drive and none-drive side) or will they all be the same size?

2) How long should I expect it to take?

3) Is it possible to accidentally rebuild the wheel 'backwards'? If so, how can I avoid it?

4) Will the rim tape need to be replaced, or can I just stick it back on after? (I really don't want to have to buy rim tape for an apollo, a waste imho)

Thank you!

Front Wheel

1. all the same

2. what, before you give up in frustration?

3. Study carefully the current spoking arrangement - which spokes lay on top of the other and how each is threaded through the holes in the flange.Write it down so you don't forget and mark with a pen one flange hole and corresponding rim eyelet.

NB- check that the spokes are all the same length!

4.There should be enough adhesive residue to re-use.

The trick is is to fit all the spokes using one complete turn of the nipple in each case. Once everything is secure you then tighten each spoke an equal number of turns to bring the wheel into a semblance of tension - this is where experience and trial and error step in because the number of turns depends on the length of the spokes etc.

Also always oil the nipples/threads as this will minimise the spokes twisting as they are tightened up.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The easiest way to rebuild a wheel if it only needs a new rim, is to tape the new rim to the old rim, loosen all spokes, and then slowly move them over one by one. remove old rim when swapped all spokes then tension.

If its your first wheel build. Expect it to take a long time. there is nothing wrong with taking your time and doing it properly. In fact, i would encourage everyone to take their time. Its very relaxing building wheels and it should be enjoyed

PpPete

Legendary Member
Get a book. Like this one.
Step by step instructions, clear diagrams. Can't go wrong. You'll more than save the £9 cost by not buying the tools you don't need.

1) depends if it's a disc wheel
2) took me about 2 hours first time (using above book)
3) no
4) just stick it back on

ChrisKH

Guru
porkypete said:
Get a book. Like this one.
Step by step instructions, clear diagrams. Can't go wrong. You'll more than save the £9 cost by not buying the tools you don't need.

1) depends if it's a disc wheel
2) took me about 2 hours first time (using above book)
3) no
4) just stick it back on

Good call. It's on my list.

A cheaper option for instruction, and one I have used for the 5 wheels I have built, is Sheldon Brown.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Okay I used the Sheldon Brown guide and the wheel is back together and looking like a wheel! It is very slightly ovular and has a few small wobbles, but it is ride-able and the wobbles aren't really that noticeable.

ASC1951

Guru
Sam Kennedy said:
It is very slightly ovular and has a few small wobbles, but it is ride-able and the wobbles aren't really that noticeable.
It takes practice. Round, straight, perfectly tensioned - at the moment I can manage any two.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

It's really hard working with the forks, a couple of rubber bands and a pencil, instead of a truing stand.

Well I'm off to try and get it *perfect*.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
thanks for the tip steve - as of 7pm today I discovered i'll have to do this on my rear wheel on the commuter. The rim suffered terminally at the hands of Coventry's potholes

Steve Austin said:
The easiest way to rebuild a wheel if it only needs a new rim, is to tape the new rim to the old rim, loosen all spokes, and then slowly move them over one by one. remove old rim when swapped all spokes then tension.

If its your first wheel build. Expect it to take a long time. there is nothing wrong with taking your time and doing it properly. In fact, i would encourage everyone to take their time. Its very relaxing building wheels and it should be enjoyed

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

After an hour of mindless spoke-twisting I give up.
It was pretty close, had about 4 minor lateral bumps, and about 3 radial bumps. Then I decided I would try to get all the spokes to the same pitch instead, and I spoiled all my work.

I'll try again tomorrow.

I have an OCD thing with problems, I get sick of working on them, but as soon as I give up I get annoyed that I haven't solved the problem and start working on it again... I repeat this process until I either succeed or start to cry :biggrin:

Top Bottom