Beginner $300-$600 Budget, Please Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DoloDood

Hey I'm Adam, new to the forum and world of cycling. Looking to start a healthier lifestyle and get outside more. I've been looking for a couple weeks now and I've narrowed it down to two bikes:
Vilano Shadow - http://www.amazon.com/Vilano-Shadow...=1439835686&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

Or...
Diamondback Century 1 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These two bikes seem like good beginner bikes to me, but I'm not at all too familiar with what I'm looking at. Was leaning towards the Diamondback, seemed like a good deal for the price. Any advice or other suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

OP
OP
D

DoloDood

I guess I should also add that I'm looking for a road bike, maybe some sort of hybrid. Going to be used mostly around suburban areas for now.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Buying a bike by mail order can be a risky business if you are not familiar with setting up a bike that has been packed in a box. If you are new to cycling it would probably be best if you visited a local cycle dealer and had a test ride on a bike that you liked the look of, just to see whether it feels as good as it looks. You'll probably have to try out quite a few before you find one that feels right; you can't do that when you order one by post.

OP
OP
D

DoloDood

Unfortunately the bike shops in my area don't have much in my price range. Also the prices on Amazon are significantly reduced from what I can see, and I feel confident enough in myself to put the bike together. I realize my budget is rather low but $600 is about the max I can spend.

Does anyone have any input on the bike's I have listed or something else better within the $300-$600 range?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Don't know either of the two bikes personally but from the information provided the Diamondback is the better specced. It's also the one I think would be better to upgrade as bits wear out in the future so of the two that's the one I'd go for.

Top Bottom