Beginner Endurance and Speed Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bucksgill

Hi all,

Got my first road bike this week and my fitness is pretty poor, not weight-wise but just generally. I was wondering what is the best method of improve my riding in terms of endurance and speed over a ride.

I generally have 1-2 hours free a day during the week and obviously a hell of a lot more at the weekends. I love the idea of being able to do 50/60 mile rides but I know it would take a lot of work to get to that level.

What is the best method for training up and roughly how long would it take for an average person to get to that position?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
well if you are not that heavy (like I was) and you have 2 hours...I would say simply get on th ebike and start riding until you've had enough each day and graduallyincrease until you are filling those 2 hours with riding..simples. IMHO i'd forget about speed to start with and jus tget used to riding reasonable distances...speed will come later.

The best thing is not to get hung up on speed or endurance training, just ride, they'll come in their own good time. Eventually up the mileage gradually and you'll find speed will follow. A good motivator is to join a club, my last club had what it described as a development group (no one left behind on shorter rides) and my current club also have a bun run (again no one is left behind and its shorter but the 1st group can be a bit frantic).
My own development was quite gradual, in about 2001 living in Dublin I bought an old steel town bike mainly for transport. By about 2003, I was making excuses to ride more and by 2004, I was covering greater distances but not at speed. 2005, I moved back to Scotland and got a decent bike my Sirrus and found my self riding longer and faster. 2006 or 7, I joined a club and I reckon by the next season I was of a decent standard (it also coincided with me getting my first drop bar bike). It was pretty rapid once joining the club but the gradual base miles I think had speeded up my development there.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I don tknow what you may or may not already know ..but dont forget that a well set up bike and the right clothing are important. They will make th edifference between a comfy ride you want to do again and a week off the bike with a sore arse wondering wtf you are doing.

Make each ride as pleasant an experience as possible so you keep the bug in th eearly days.

Personally I didnt join a club simply because I felt I could ride at my own pace better on my own, stop when I like etc. But HLAB comments make sense if the club has those kind of rides.

Nebulous

Guru
Start with a ride that feels as though it is a challenge, without being hard enough to put you off, and gradually add to it. Increasing distance by 10% a time is often recommended, though I did it in much bigger jumps than that. Don't be afraid to take days off- but plan them - otherwise you just get up and think I'll have a rest day today, then you never get out. If you get saddle sore the first time you might be better taking 2-3 days off before going out again. Remember it should be fun! Fitness came quite quickly for me, except on hills, and that becomes motivation in itself.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would just get out there and start doing 10 mile rides. Go up in 5 mile increments every weekend, until 40 miles. Then switch to 10 mile increments. When you can handle 60, you can handle 80 and 80 means you can do 100 :thumbsup:

ChefDicko

Regular
i started riding this month and im doing 50 miles but there is a bit of pain with that, the key for me was to try and keep my hart rate down, so in the week wile there is not much sun light im doing running, if you do a hours run its like a 2 hour bike ride fitness wise, you dont want to be blowing to hard just consontrate on getting the hart rate down, its made a big difference for me, and come the weekend im itching to get on my bike, when there is more day light and im fitter the running will be less and the riding more.

OP
OP
bucksgill

bucksgill

Thanks for the advice guys and girls :smile:

I just came back from a ride, had planned a route on Google Maps to do 9.9 miles but a combination of a missed turn and feeling good near the end I finished up on 13.68 miles averaging just below 14mph; pretty damn chuffed with it to be honest.

I found the first 3/4 miles horrific because it was start stop at traffic lights the whole time and I really wasn't enjoying it. But then I hit the open road/cycle paths and loved it (hence why I added extra). I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable on the bike with things like gear changes and getting my left foot into the toe clip whilst pedalling. So all in all a good ride and I think the same again is in order tomorrow although I think I will try to change the first section.

A few aches and pains which you might be able to help me out with; near the end my lower back was getting achey as were my hands (maybe due to gripping something in the cold?) and my feet (which I think could be down to wearing flimsy soled plimps whilst riding?)

Gloves and maybe some tights are in order as I hate cold hands and riding in jeans is not to comfortable.

Endomondo also seems pretty good, although I don't think auto-pause was kicking in. Is this a pro feature or do I need to turn it on?

I can see myself coming down with the bug in the near future :biggrin:

OP
OP
bucksgill

bucksgill

Just found the Auto-Pause setting on Endomondo; helps when you actually look for it! :laugh:

ChefDicko

Regular
oh dear oh dear sounds like your on the slippery path to bike fanatic, it can get exspensive all the gear can cost a small forune amazon or wiggle do cheap riding gear, i just nipped out shop and came back with lycra and lube lol, also you tube has loads of tips for riding, maintaining your bike ect

Top Bottom