Beginner help and advice please , saddle hurts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The bottom line is, that everyone's bum is different. But if you are new to cycling, your bum really does have to get used to things.

If I've been off the bike for a while, my backside doesn't half know it! And I'm using saddles that are comfortable for me, whether riding with padded shorts / tights on the road bike or unpadded shorts / trousers on the hybrid.

Little and often to start with - as with anything new really - but if, after a few weeks the saddle is still uncomfortable, then's the time to think about swapping it. But stick with it for now until you actually get used to cycling again.

12boy

Guru
I favor shorts with a gusset so as to avoid riding on a seam. My preference is a hard, narrow leather "ass hatchet" so the only real contact for me is my sitbones. Wider or softer saddles can press on the soft tissues down under and help create some fairly nasty saddlesores. As Canuck traveller indicated, stay off the bike and you will lose your "seat" and make take a few rides to restore the blessed sitbone numbness. Most of us have found, at one time or another, that stiff necks, aching backs, sore hands and shoulders can be issues, but a little tinkering with saddle height, fore and aft placement, and the angle of rise in the saddle can help a lot. You will know when it's right when you go riding and don't think about any of those things, just the ride.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The sad truth is that everybody's bum gets sore when they first start riding a bike. Even a technically perfect, expensively fitted saddle won't help you completely. It does get better though.

BigMeatball

No, don’t like the aesthetic of Brooks 👍

Yeah, brooks are the equivalent of wearing sandals with socks underneath. Comfortable? Sure. Ugly as hell? Without a doubt.

You need to reach a certain mental age (I'd say 60+) before you start to tolerate them.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst padded shorts have their place, I didn't bother with them for maybe 30 years. They are not the solution to uncomfortable or painful saddle.
1) Need to get the position right
2) If still uncomfortable, need to get a saddle that suits you.
3) Most (maybe not all) "serious" cyclists would strongly advise against padded or gel saddles.
4) Many of use really like Brooks leather saddles, but again they don't suit everyone

Need to sort out the above, then maybe think about padded shorts as a bonus

Top Bottom