Beginner road races

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wee Giant

Does anyone have suggestions for road races suitable for a beginner racer in the Cumbria to Central Scotland areas? I'm up to around 20 miles on the bike at the moment am targetting a couple of races in spring/summer of next year (Ayr and Carlisle duathlons) and would really like to do them justice.

amaferanga

Veteran
Does anyone have suggestions for road races suitable for a beginner racer in the Cumbria to Central Scotland areas? I'm up to around 20 miles on the bike at the moment am targetting a couple of races in spring/summer of next year (Ayr and Carlisle duathlons) and would really like to do them justice.

Is it duathlons you're interested in or bunch racing?

If its bunch racing you're interested in then your best bet would probably be to join a club. This should give you an idea of the standard required. Road racing even at the lowest level is extremely competitive with average speeds of around 24-25mph so if you can only just do 20 miles you have a wee bit to go. Not saying you can't do it, but just don't underestimate how hard its gonna be!

montage

God Almighty
If it is duathlons you are looking at, join a club and get into time trialling.
Infact, join a club and get into time trialling anyway!

oldroadman

Veteran
If it is duathlons you are looking at, join a club and get into time trialling.
Infact, join a club and get into time trialling anyway!

Or join a club and get some coaching. Concentrating on TT will probably blunt any speed you have, where road races will stretch your ability to ride fast! The main thing is getting the preparation done, base miles until you can easily ride for 2-3 hours at a decent speed, then on to the intervals. You should be able to be competitive in six months of work, but considering the winters in your area, get a variable resistance turbo as well. Any running training you do will maximise your vo2 max, and that will help with the riding fast a lot!

fimm

Veteran
Bear in mind that drafting is illegal in (age group) duathlon, so if it is bunch riding skills you are worried about, you don't need them. Time trialling experience would be more useful.

Rassendyll

Bear in mind that the relative rates at which paint dries is a thousand-fold more interesting than a time trial.

biggrin.gif

Glad I wasn't drinking tea when I read that or you'd owe me a new keyboard.

OP
OP
Wee Giant

Wee Giant

Thanks folks. Not sure I have time for another club (I struggle to find time to get to running club once a week!) but I'll look in to it. I'm already building the time I spend on the road and tend to push harder when I'm out on my own as opposed to with the OH. I also do a 4 mile commute along cycle path to work and think this is helping with short burst speed - just need to build on it I guess.

Montage - not just duathlons I'm interested in, I do quite like the idea of racing other cyclists on the road but I have two duathlons next year that I'm really set on doing for no other reason that they're practically on my doorstep.

HonestMan1910

Über Member
Weegiant, come along and join in a CC Ecosse ride, not too competitive, but gives you the chance to ride good road miles and get the feel of riding in a group.

Top Bottom