Beginner Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Too Tyred

I use 'training' very loosely!

I'm going to mention my FTP (155). I know it's just a number and means very little, but the way I see it is that if it rises then I'm getting stronger. That's the goal. To get quicker and stronger. Over the summer I'll be taking my bike up to the Dales and plotting 50/60 mile routes and I'm determined to make this enjoyable and not just be a sweaty, jellied mess at the end.

I did the FTP on a smart trainer (Zwift) so again, just a number. But Zwift is something that I want to use to get fitter and I think I can use that number to judge that. I will be adding in road riding fairly soon but today I was vindicated in choosing indoor because halfway through my ride the heavens opened. That and the time. I can only commit to two midweek evenings (hour or so each) and a few hours on a weekend. That's what I've got to play with at this moment in time.

I want to use this time wisely. Should I be doing intervals and the likes midweek and a longer ride on the weekend? Or just on those three days ride, have fun, and get sweaty?

OP
OP
Too Tyred

Too Tyred

Don't you just love the great British weather... supposed three days of sunshine and then Saturday when I was getting excited to feel the road again forecasted showers!

Anyway, in 3 weeks I've put in 165 miles and 9 hours 42 minutes on the trainer and I'm really enjoying it. I know it's not for everyone but I like it. I feel like I'm pushing myself hard and my heart rates and leg ache is backing that up.

This is a bit of a bump to my first post but I thought I'd give you a little run down of what my average week is shaping up like. I said midweek I wanted to do interval type workouts but that's changed a little. On Zwift there a few short, flat, fast courses at around 5km with a sprint point. That's turning into my Tuesday ride. I try to keep as high as a pace as I can and when the sprint point comes round I go for that. Thursday I've found a group social ride which sets a pace at 2-2.5w/kg which looking at my FTP is about right for me so far. That's followed by the ride 'after party' which is a hill climb with no w/kg limit which is really fun and as tough as you make it. Always a PB to chase up a hill! That leaves the weekend for my longer ride, last Saturday I did 60km in a 2 hour ride which shows my endurance is rising too.

Anything I can change? Anybody do anything similar?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have to admit I have no idea about Ftps and stuff like that. But if setting measured targets and stuff fascinates you - and it clearly does - then keep at it. If you're enjoying it you're doing it right!

You might want to be careful of over training. I have read that you don't improve by training, you improve by resting after training. But that might be rubbish, it's just something I've read.

Don't let rain put you off riding outside. Some of my best riding memories are of foul weather. I say memories, I wasn't so enthusiastic about it at the time.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Seriously, if you've only been riding three weeks, just forget about FTP and training goals and just ride your bike. Pushing yourself into a regime so pointlessly early just risks injury.

Allow yourself a few months of periodisation and conditioning before you start pushing yourself.

Even if you don't suffer an injury, pushing yourself to much too soon runs the risk of seriously p*ssing yourself off over how hard it is and might suck all the joy from your cycling. That's not gonna help your ftp!

OP
OP
Too Tyred

Too Tyred

Hey guys. Thanks for your advice. So the general consensus seems to be to just ride and have fun, which is pretty much what I've been doing. However, I do consider myself to be in ok shape and I do really like numbers!
The one thing that I'm going to keep is the FTP test and every few months retest and see if I am getting fitter.
Aside from that though you won't catch me talking about training or intervals again. Just going to push myself on Zwift, chase those PBs, and get out on the proper road when I get the chance!

OP
OP
Too Tyred

Too Tyred

A lot of factors really. I'm so busy lately it's just far easier to jump on the turbo and go which is all set up. Midweek especially the time I have for riding is late. Also at just an hour I can have a much better workout on the turbo. In an hour on the road I may go 12/13 mile with traffic and stops - I've been going 16-20m on the turbo.

The ride that I could go out on the road and do is my weekend ride where I have more free time. Honestly though I'm just not feeling it yet. I'm a fair weather cyclist!

Dishy

Im in a similar position and looking to reset up my turbo as the only rides i can go on are late evenings so better getting on turbo for hour and can get more done!

OP
OP
Too Tyred

Too Tyred

I've been getting on for an hour or two a couple of times a week on average although I did have 2 weeks off midway through June due to work.

Still, I'm happy. I've ridden more miles than I ever have before and have big goals! Only been on one road ride since I got the trainer but that was much quicker and easier than I remember so happy times.

In 3/4 weeks I'll be taking my bike up to the Yorkshire Dales/ North York Moors for a few days so trying to get the miles and climbing in before then! Knee pending.

Top Bottom