Beginner Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

Yorkshire Lad

Oh of course, I would have been in the lower ring not the big ring..

36 Bill.

P.S. Going on your figures 48 x 16 @ 5/6/7 mph then your cadence would be 21/25 or 30 rpm. and that would be grinding away indeed.

I would say that it was pain Bill but I can't, it was weird, I was fine for quite a while, spinning the pedals sat down then bang the pedals wouldn't move at all, no warning pain no nothing. Had a breather for a minute, had a drink then set off again. It was hard work but you don't want it to be easy do you?

Bill Gates

Yorkshire Lad said:
Oh of course, I would have been in the lower ring not the big ring..

36 Bill.

I would say that it was pain Bill but I can't, it was weird, I was fine for quite a while, spinning the pedals sat down then bang the pedals wouldn't move at all, no warning pain no nothing. Had a breather for a minute, had a drink then set off again. It was hard work but you don't want it to be easy do you?

Well that's sorted your chainring, 16 is still too high a gear for an 8 sprocket rear wheel cassette though.

That's what getting fitter is all about; so it get's easier.:becool:

Bill Gates

Yorkshire Lad said:
What do you mean by too high a gear?

Always pushing for bigger and better achievements is how I have always trained for anything.

Let me explain. In saying that the 16 tooth sprocket on your rear wheel cassette is too high a gear I meant that for an 8 sprocket cassette, your bottom gear (largest sprocket) must have more than 16 teeth...... and NOT that a 36/16 gear it is too big a gear fior you to pedal.

An 8 sprocket 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19 cassette is a close ratio Time Trial racing cassette. And even that means that your bottom gear is 36/19

More likely your cassette is something like 13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25 and that means your bottom gear is 36/25. TBH I don't think it matters knowing what it is if you're happy to pedal the gear and it works for you.:rofl:

Top Bottom