Beginners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Not being a beginner has nothing to do with how miles you ride, taking part in sportives etc.... but all to do with being able to ride safely, unclip at the right time ( if you are clipless) , read the road ahead and knowing how to react in any situation. Riding 50 miles in one outing does not make you better than someone commuting every day. I don't regard myself as a beginner because I have been riding a bike ( on and off) for the last 57 years at least.

^+1

simmi

Über Member
Not being a beginner has nothing to do with how miles you ride, taking part in sportives etc.... but all to do with being able to ride safely, unclip at the right time ( if you are clipless)

I am still very much a beginner then, though have to say the last one or should I say last two were on 8th Jan so perhaps I am through that stage now, fingers crossed.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
It is all a bit confusing for me, I consider myself to be an old hand (or is it leg) having done most of it in my 'yoof' but on seeing new bikes with computers on in fancy materials and 8" of seat stem sticking out, that I can't even get the handlebar stem out never mind understand cassettes instead of blocks I would also consider myself a complete novice.

simmi

Über Member
It is all a bit confusing for me, I consider myself to be an old hand (or is it leg) having done most of it in my 'yoof' but on seeing new bikes with computers on in fancy materials and 8" of seat stem sticking out, that I can't even get the handlebar stem out never mind understand cassettes instead of blocks I would also consider myself a complete novice.
Not a beginner just "Old School"
In slang, old school can refer to anything that is from an earlier era, anything that may be considered "old-fashioned". Old school refers to something that is fairly old and not very recent. Depending on the context and intent, the term can imply a high regard or respect

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Not a beginner just "Old School"
In slang, old school can refer to anything that is from an earlier era, anything that may be considered "old-fashioned". Old school refers to something that is fairly old and not very recent. Depending on the context and intent, the term can imply a high regard or respect
I will take that thanks very much, I like the sound of that 'Old School' yep I can live with that ^_^ cheers

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You know what will happen tonight now you have said that!

I spit in the face of clipless moments...:becool:

Sorry SatNav anyone who has contemplated let alone done 8700 miles of an around the world cycle ride is definitely not a beginner:stop:
oaaaahhhhh, goes off to sulk in corner.

still not done 100miles in a day. came close once at 89 miles but with 3,500-4,500 metres of climbing (on a fully laden tourer) there was no way in hell I was going to go looking for those extra 11 miles!

Top Bottom