Behave yourselves ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I got called, put it off a couple of times but went along in the end. Got 6 months. No, not really - it was quite interesting. Quite a long process to get from being called to actually being part of a jury.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've always been under the impression you can't turn it down, at least without an exceptional reason, (not prying what it was). Then even if you are successful in avoiding the first call to duty, your selection is merely commuted to another case.

Is this not how it works? If not I won't mind being selected if I know I can refuse to do it :thumbsup:

I'd just moved from Lancaster to north Cumbria soi turned it down in distance grounds.

Bluebell72

I'd love to be called, it sounds interesting.

A friend did it and said also, 'boring as shite' and that at least three of the other jurors seemed only partially literate, which was worrying as in their case there were some documents to look at, and plans of a building.

One of the jurors said 'what's this?' and it had to be explained, they said they'd never seen floor plans before!!!!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Jan last year i got the call, work were quite up on what needed doing etc and it was all covered pay wise.

had two cases, strangely for basically the same thing, sort of home invasion assault/robbery jobbies. rather then being the main culprit these guys were rather "there" with the main assailant and apparently participated

first case was dismissed, the second made me cringe with every waking moment, something they don't tell you about a jury, they're bleedin stupid.
seriously i'd rather be convicted by a judge if gods forbid i ever need it then a group if infantile idiotic morons who've been called away from their jeremy kyle life to judge whether someone is guilty of a crime.

and i kid not about the jeremy kyle, they had it on EVERY DAMN DAY in the waiting room....
basically in the second case the evidence did not support the case, i thought the CPS in fact should not have even bothered with what was presented, however where most people were quite happy to say "not enough evidence so we can't fairly say guilty here can we?" several were not only adamant on the chaps guilt but were loudly abashing the other members of the jury because they were idiots for not plainly seeing his guilt.
the reasons for his guilt were thus: "You can see it in his eyes" - direct quote i kid you not
and "He lives near me, i don't want a dangerous scroat like that loose on the streets, you lot can go home safe at night i'm the one that has to worry"

my own personal opinion was that the little sod did it, and everyone knew it, unfortunately the evidence was not there, thats the crux tho, you have to go off the evidence not your personal opinion. many people have no concept of the difference.

if i ever got called again for jury duty i'd do my damnest to get out of it up to and including breaking my own bleedin leg.

Top Bottom