Being Short Stinks!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itself

I was getting pretty excited about the possiblity of owning a Furai. My bubble just got burst and I am beyond bummed out. Kelvin at Angletech told me I am too short at 5'5" with a 40 inch x seam to own this bike. Even though it is a 24 inch wheel format, the bike apparrently still sits at about 26" high.

I have a wonderful Ti Aero, but just wanted to add something a bit different to the stable. Here in AZ, a lowracer like the Fujin would be just too dangerous on these roads.

Well, keep your eyes out. Lightning Dynamics will be introducing a midracer at Interbike. Based on the M5 it should be a winner. That perhaps maybe a possiblity...

I was getting pretty excited about the possiblity of owning a Furai. My bubble just got burst and I am beyond bummed out. Kelvin at Angletech told me I am too short at 5'5" with a 40 inch x seam to own this bike. Even though it is a 24 inch wheel format, the bike apparrently still sits at about 26" high.

I have a wonderful Ti Aero, but just wanted to add something a bit different to the stable. Here in AZ, a lowracer like the Fujin would be just too dangerous on these roads.

Well, keep your eyes out. Lightning Dynamics will be introducing a midracer at Interbike. Based on the M5 it should be a winner. That perhaps maybe a possiblity...

i'd get a second opinion if i were you. i've owned a furai in the past and had no problems reaching the floor, i'm onlt 5' 7". also my girlfriend isn't much over 5 foot and could get a flat foot down. is there no way you could have a go on one?

cheers,

velocidad.

PalmerSperry

i'd get a second opinion if i were you. i've owned a furai in the past and had no problems reaching the floor, i'm onlt 5' 7". also my girlfriend isn't much over 5 foot and could get a flat foot down. is there no way you could have a go on one?

<nods> Challenge's website claims a seat height of 46cm/18.1inches for the Furai 24.

OP
OP
I

itself

Thanks for the responses. I emailed Kelvin and asked him for more details. His first email indicated "foot overlap." My understanding in speaking with David at Laid Back Cycles is that the foot overlap/heel strike issue really is not an issue.

So perhaps Kelvin is concerned with the shortening/cutting of the boom and the heel strike issue. I'm not giving up yet...thanks for the advice!

I would have to fly into Colorado to try it, which I just may due before winter comes in.

Thanks for the responses. I emailed Kelvin and asked him for more details. His first email indicated "foot overlap." My understanding in speaking with David at Laid Back Cycles is that the foot overlap/heel strike issue really is not an issue.

So perhaps Kelvin is concerned with the shortening/cutting of the boom and the heel strike issue. I'm not giving up yet...thanks for the advice!

I would have to fly into Colorado to try it, which I just may due before winter comes in.
yeah heel strike will be an issue but that doesn't mean it will be a problem. personally i didn't like the heel strike but i'm sure i would have got used to it.
anyway i'm glad yo haven't been put off the furai, it is a lovely bike!

cheers,

velocidad.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
My understanding in speaking with David at Laid Back Cycles is that the foot overlap/heel strike issue really is not an issue.

David knows his stuff and proved himself invaluably well informed when I got my Furai from him, and infact, ever since.

OP
OP
I

itself

Guys,

Thanks so much for the input. I am going to go for it, even without a ride. I am an experienced rider and know I can adapt. David has been amazing and always is so courteous in answering my emails.

And the one I've landed is the bright green one...love that color!

Lisa :smile:

MartinG

With regard to heelstrike - I am 6ft 3in and have a Nazca Fuego large frame, and even I can get my heel tangled in the spokes if I work at it! Heelstrike is an ever-present possibility with a SWB recumbent and is avoided by learning to corner over (in my case) about 3 weeks. Bear in mind I am a slow learner!!

In other words this is really not an issue - it is part of learning to ride a 'bent.

With regards to getting feet down - there is also a disadvantage to being long of leg on a bike that is low of seat: your feet are so far forward that balancing the bike can be tricky - until you get used to it.

Mastering such issues is all part of the satisfaction of riding a 'bent, and I think of them as "characteristics" rather than "flaws".

Finally - David (laidbackbikes) has been a totally reliable (and impartial) source of information for me and I would do follow his advice without hesitation.

The short version of the Catbike Musashi would fit you fine.

Top Bottom