Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rosscbrown

The bell my LBS gave me with my bike is a bit rubbish. It has a cable tie type fitting and the hammer that stikes the bell is mounted on a small spring. The mounting is rubbish and has such the bell makes next to no noise when struck. As the hammer is on a spring it frequently twists about and doesn't strike the bell properly. Can anyone recommend a nice, good value bell.

I have looked at these airhorn based "bell" systems and while they sound amazing, especially for on road use, I'd worry about using them on a towpath where everyone is listening out for, well you know, a bell!

Any suggestions. What is state of the art in bell technology? :tongue:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Personally, I'd ditch the bell and just say excuse me as I approached.

Ben M

The bell my LBS gave me with my bike is a bit rubbish. It has a cable tie type fitting and the hammer that stikes the bell is mounted on a small spring. The mounting is rubbish and has such the bell makes next to no noise when struck. As the hammer is on a spring it frequently twists about and doesn't strike the bell properly. Can anyone recommend a nice, good value bell.

I have looked at these airhorn based "bell" systems and while they sound amazing, especially for on road use, I'd worry about using them on a towpath where everyone is listening out for, well you know, a bell!

Any suggestions. What is state of the art in bell technology? :tongue:

Airzound. Runs off compressed air delivered by a bike pump.

http://www.airzound.co.uk/

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Its more the blind corners and bridges. I don't mind being civil to pedestrians :-)

An Airzound is not suitable for canal tow-paths and other shared use paths, the sort of people who use Airzound are generally the type who would drive a supped up Nova. Cheepo bells are fine. I used to have a bell but it fell apart and since then I have just used my voice which works perfectly well.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
People don't 'listen out' for bells, infact in most environments many can't hear them at all due to all the background noise. Airzound, voice or patience are much better.

As used by the Hungry Cyclist :thumbsup:
Mind you he offended a serious german cyclist with that so maybe this which is a bit more classy and reliable probably.
Mind you if they're plugged into their enviromental isolation units (ipods) a horn may be the only choice

You could use this one if you simply want to get rid of some money (posted a while ago)

If the first is too extravagant but you want quality, this one's cheaper

Personally, I find a basic "ping" one just fine for those exact scenarios you mention.

IMO Airzounds are for using to alert people in cages, not for people strolling along happily (not to say I'm against them..just not to scare/wake up other users of shared use paths)

Thirty five quid for a bike bell!!! "She Who Must Be Obeyed" would want want to take me down to Tesco with her if she ever found me paying that. No I will stick to the simple none aggresive voice or my fell whistle.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
People don't 'listen out' for bells, infact in most environments many can't hear them at all due to all the background noise. Airzound, ... much better.

That maybe the case in York, but here in civilisation, we do things differently :tongue:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
 Best bell I have had

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=31846

31846.jpg

Top Bottom