Benefits of shorter cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Might get a smaller ring to give a lower ratio, but I don't want all the fuss of another changer,the extra ring won't lower bottom gear by much, I will just grab the chain tube to flip it over, it's what I do with the Optima trike, is no bovver.
I went through a lot of faff after fitting a triple ring on my Lowrider. Fitting the rings was no problem but working out how to fix a front derailleur post without welding led to some head scratching. I managed to jury rig something up with a length of seat pin, an "L" shaped bracket, various nuts and bolts and a hose clip. It ain't pretty, but it works. I have probably been overthinking all this as there are chain tubes close at hand - I could probably have got by by just changing by hand.

Now I have got the Sinner trike with a double chainwheel and no derailleur post It's the same thing -with a bit of practice I could probably just push and pull the chain tubes to move the chain about. The chain tubes would keep the hands fairly clean. Tskl! we're all just so spoiled with all our fancy levers to hand everywhere these days.

My Linear came with a triple on the front and no front changer or even chain tubes. I suppose on encountering a big hill you were expected to heave the chain onto a suitable sprocket, wipe your hands on a passing kitten and proceed manfully on your way. I fitted a post and front changer eventually, as there's never a kitten about when you need one.

a.twiddler

Veteran
You know the okd saying about men with big feet 😂. it’s not true by the way😢

seriously, I am a standard uk size 8. But if I angle my foot vertically then I can hit the floor. My previous trike, also an Anthrotech did not do this. Commuted to work everyday summer and winter with no issues. Now thinking perhaps this one has longer cranks, I’ll measure them.
I suppose that on reflection, it doesn't take much of a change in clearances before heels start making contact with things. Maybe a change in tyre make or size added to a difference in crank length could do it.

Top Bottom