Beryl Burton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peejay78

Hilldodger said:
I'm a cycling historian and well aware of BB's record and that of many others.

Was she the best ever? No

Was she ONE of the best of all time? yes.

well, glad that's settled then. good job you're a cycling historian.

Thanks for the sarcasm:angry:

I was responding to a now edited post suggesting I should research cycling history.

peejay78

you're welcome. i wasn't being facetious, more light-hearted.

cycling history or no cycling history, these debates are fairly subjective.

she was a legend though.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I know that Roger's historical knowledge is far greater than mine, but, for my money, the thing that sets BB apart from anybody else is that she beat the men. Florence Griffith-Joyner's record run at Seoul was extraordinary, but it wouldn't have got her close to the men's record. Paula Radcliffe's 2 hours 15 minute marathon was almost unbelievable, but it wouldn't have got her close to the winning man. So I agree with Ian Cammish (who is a god, anyway).

Is the humbug story true?

Is the humbug story true?

It is true but that is only half the story.

Mike McNamara was out to set a new record and was pacing himself for that -he wasn't racing Burton.

ASC1951

Guru
Dave5N said:
I've just spoken to them today, Dave5N. A true cottage industry - they sew and bind the books themselves as well as printing them and reckon they can turn the handle and produce as few as half a dozen copies per run if they want. The tale of how they tracked down a clean copy to reproduce and how they located Beryl's children for permission was a story in itself.

They will be finishing their 'print run' tomorrow and sticking them in the post on Wednesday. I reckon it will make an excellent Crimbo present to a cycling friend, plus a copy for myself.

ASC1951

Guru
Hilldodger said:
Mike McNamara was out to set a new record and was pacing himself for that - he wasn't racing Burton.
Bit of a miscalculation for the lad, then. Wouldn't Rule 1 of setting a new record be that you don't get overtaken? Or did he think that he would pass her again within the 12 hours?

onb

Guru
As a kid growing up in Batley we were playing footie in the road as you did and a woman goes past on bike .My mate informs us thats Beryl Burton a fact which meant nothing to the rest of us .Anyway after that we got used to seeing her wizzing around and of course knowledge of and respect for increased.I read in a book that her daughter who was also an accomplished cyclist took a few years before she beat mum and after which they hardly spoke again.:biggrin:

OP
OP
T

Tombo 707

Mercian Manuals (Beryl Burtons personal Best)

I got my new copy of Beryl Burtons personal best today. They have done an amazing job and for all those people out there wanting a copy without having to pay over £70 for an original this reprint is a must. There is due to be advert in the cycling weekly soon. Well done Mercian Manuals.

Top Bottom