Best 16 tooth freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recommendations please!

Used daily on a quite shitty bridle path / unsurfaced road for about 100 miles per week, all weathers.

Price (within reason) not an issue

oldstrath

Über Member
White industries. Charlie the Bikemonger sells them (about £70), but repairable and superb, IME

park1

I tried a £55 token which has sealed bearings. It gave up after about 9 months. Really disappointed seeing as I only used it on the road (no off road or BMX which would be a lot tougher on it). If it's for road use I say go cheaper, £20 shimano and be prepared to replace more often. If you have a fixed cog on the opposite side you always have a "get you home" option if the freewheel packs up.

I would agree the WI is the best, but not necessarily the most economic unless you have tools and knowledge to service/repair it yourself.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
Having trouble finding stock of ENOs but still think I'll have one.

Every time I try fixed I get bumped out of the saddle... Seems like I like freewheeling too much

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I solved my freewheel issues by sidestepping them altogether. My singlespeeds (that's pretty much all my bikes) either use regular road wheels with adaptors
conversion.jpg

or hubs which take a single cog
bmx600.jpg

ENOs sure are pretty though.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf

I'm curious. What is that setup? I wasn't aware Shimano made anything for single cogs. Is it a BMX hub? :scratch:

RedRider

Pulling through
I hear all the love for White Industries but as a compromise I have the cheaper (tho unserviceable) Halo Clickster. I like the clickiness, it's way smoother than a shimano freewheel and it engages super quick.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I'm curious. What is that setup? I wasn't aware Shimano made anything for single cogs. Is it a BMX hub?

Yes it's a BMX hub, cored then refortified with a longer axle for a Langster. No longer made but they turn up on ebay, and I believe other companies now supply this cozy little niche market.

Last edited:

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Nobody believes me but I have a NOS Shimano DX BMX freewheel and it's done approximately 4500 miles.

Teeth are looking a bit second hand but it's still smooth & quiet.

arno

Veteran
I tried a £55 token which has sealed bearings. It gave up after about 9 months. Really disappointed seeing as I only used it on the road (no off road or BMX which would be a lot tougher on it). If it's for road use I say go cheaper, £20 shimano and be prepared to replace more often. If you have a fixed cog on the opposite side you always have a "get you home" option if the freewheel packs up.

I would agree the WI is the best, but not necessarily the most economic unless you have tools and knowledge to service/repair it yourself.

Had the same durability issue with a token freewheel. The cromo model.

Top Bottom