Best 20” tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrandadPig

GrandadPig

Regular
Never considered different tyres front and back but sort of makes sense as they are doing very different jobs I suppose.

Do the wider rears fit ok without altering mudguards?

Never considered different tyres front and back but sort of makes sense as they are doing very different jobs I suppose.

Do the wider rears fit ok without altering mudguards?
I started on my ICE trike by running the same tyre on all 3 wheels.
But after 3 years of wearing the back tyre out half way around a 4-5k mile tour and having to find a new good 20" tyre, I looked for a longer lasting one.
After a few false tries, I found the BA's works well to even the wear rate front to back.

You can fit light tyres all around for pure speed or heavy tyres all around for maximum puncture protection.
But the difference with the ease of fixing punctures between the front wheels and the back makes light front/heavy back a sensible option.

On an ICE trike there's a spacer between the front of the mudguard and the frame that needs to be removed to fit the 50-406 BA tyre.
Apart from that the 50-406 BA's will fit under all 3 mudguards if they are moved up.

Luck ......... ^_^

OP
OP
GrandadPig

GrandadPig

Regular
I started on my ICE trike by running the same tyre on all 3 wheels.
But after 3 years of wearing the back tyre out half way around a 4-5k mile tour and having to find a new good 20" tyre, I looked for a longer lasting one.
After a few false tries, I found the BA's works well to even the wear rate front to back.

You can fit light tyres all around for pure speed or heavy tyres all around for maximum puncture protection.
But the difference with the ease of fixing punctures between the front wheels and the back makes light front/heavy back a sensible option.

On an ICE trike there's a spacer between the front of the mudguard and the frame that needs to be removed to fit the 50-406 BA tyre.
Apart from that the 50-406 BA's will fit under all 3 mudguards if they are moved up.

Luck ......... ^_^
Thank you, bit more research and measuring clearances in the trike but almost ready. Just discovered the chain is knackered, so might as well place an order for the lot. Lucky the missus is not registered here!!! The “few bits to get before I use it’ list is getting longer and longer😂

Bought a secondhand HPV Streetmachine GT a few years back and it came with urban marathons front and something similar to marathon racers but an older schwalbe tyre on the rear. Slippy I found and only got one puncture in 6 months. I use marathon pluses on upright gravel bike. Got standard marathons for my 16" Brompton folding upright bike but not put on. Got a puncture on front tyre on the Brompton a week after getting it. To be fair I did hit a deep pothole and took a big flyer that broke my arm. They're marathon racers. I'm not convinced they're that good. Prefer higher puncture resistance. On a recumbent I'm slow enough that tyre choice won't impact much on that. I think I'll put marathons or m pluses on it one day. I hate cold evenings patching a hole mid ride home.

Top Bottom