Best FLAT-bar ROAD Bike - less than £350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KMKM

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good quality flat-handle bar road bike for less than £350?

Thanks

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
carrera range from halfords (if you can get over the stigma and have a guy behind the counter who sets it up right)

subway`s are rock solid and start at £229 for the base model, i have one and its done over 4000 miles with just replacement parts that wear out on all bikes.

If you want a bike with racing bike size wheels the gryphon looks nice from £279.

Does your work run the cycle to work scheme? as you can get a good bike and spread the cost if you do.

At the top of your budget ...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_273345_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Try your Local bike shop see if they have any post Xmas sales on and they can advise you a lot better than any web page and you get to try the bike before parting with any cash.

Son has Carrera Gryphon (disc braked) as per cyberknights link. Rear braze-ons are on the inner side of the seat-stays. Think this so it will take a standard width rack instead of needing a disc specific one (you'd need to check as sons bike doesnt have rack/guards fitted). It would leave the subway for dead if you want something quicker.
I have access to a Subway and like that too (I work on a ship and its used as transport by some of the crew so gets some abuse)

cyberknight

My subway has some scwable city jet slicks on , i can keep up 20 mph on the flat , not bad for a mtb wheeled bike . average speed for my 10 mile commute is hovering around 16.5 mph and thats with full gaurds,rack and panniers .

cyberknight

I am more of a short distance man my commute is 10 mile each way , ask me do do a 100 and i would die :biggrin:
I am not built like a long distance man to many sessions on the weights , though always concentrating on high reps rather than pure bulk .

Tynan

Veteran
meaningless without knowing how many lights you have to stop at, traffic etc

I do 20mph most of my ride but have a moving average of 14.5mph, enough to make a man cry, and that's on a route that avoid lights as much as possible

cyberknight

Sorry to get competitive i was just trying to show that for the price they can be good bikes.

here is my route saved before bike hike went funny(clicky for bigger pic )

NP. I certainly didn't take it as you being competitive. But then again theres no harm in a little 'commuter race' ;) That route looks far too nice to count as a proper commute though, wheres the roundabouts, traffic lights, traffic jams, gutters of empty Stella tins? (Actually I like traffic jams - gives me great pleasure flashing past them)

Do agree the Subway is a decent bike for the money, as is the Gryphon (sons was an ebay buy so even bigger bargain). The Subway certainly seems to be liked by those on here that have one.

cyberknight

• Frame size: 56cm
  • Lightweight 7005 aluminium semi-compact frame, with double butted main tubes, with mudguard and rack eyes
  • Rigid fork, cro-moly blades, mudguard mounts and low rider eyes
  • 18 speed SRAM X5 rear mech and X5 triggers
  • Prowheel Gloria 50-36 chainset with cartridge bottom bracket
  • Tektro IO mechanical disc brakes, 160mm rotors
  • DDR-1 double wall disc specific rims on Formula hubs
  • Low profile Innova 700-28c tyres
  • Flip flop stem, anatomic bars and toe clip pedals
  • Clearance for mudguards
  • Colour: Metallic Blue/Grey
I am guessing road but best to pop into shop and check

Rims definitely road sized but then again it has disc brakes. Are there any road width (120mm) hubs that take discs? I'd go have a measure up but I won't be home for another 2 weeks.
I'm in process of building up an On-one Pompino (700c) with an Alfine (mtb spacing) gear hub. Pompino frames came in both spacings when I bought it. You have now got me thinking that the Gryphon with a Alfine would be a nice option.

Top Bottom