Best Garage Door Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
I have looked on net but up and over garage door locks seem to either require alot of drilling or technical know how. Anyone know of a good but simple lock. Recently had the garage alarmed and just want to finish the job. Thanks in advance

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I fitted a pair of these.

Involved drilling a few holes in the door (easy) and a bit of faffing around mounting them on bits of wood as spacers so I didn't have to drill holes in the door frame.

How effective are they? We'll never know unless someone actually tries to break in!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I just have big bolts, screwed to the door each side at the bottom and resting against the frame and another at the top in the middle, going into a hole drilled in the frame. Between them they make the door feel very strong; it's timber and quite heavily built. I guess the ultimate protection would be to glue and screw sheets of aluminium inside the panels.

perplexed

Guru

Lee_M

Guru

Broadside

Guru
I fitted a pair of these.

Involved drilling a few holes in the door (easy) and a bit of faffing around mounting them on bits of wood as spacers so I didn't have to drill holes in the door frame.

How effective are they? We'll never know unless someone actually tries to break in!

I've fitted these on an up and over door and then on some barn doors when I moved house. They do the job nicely with a good long bolt throw but as @Spinney says I will never know if they work until someone has a go, but my garage has been avoided when neighbours have been targeted so the visual deterrent may have already worked. After installation there are coachbolt heads visible and wrongun's know that means there is extra security.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've fitted these on an up and over door and then on some barn doors when I moved house. They do the job nicely with a good long bolt throw but as @Spinney says I will never know if they work until someone has a go, but my garage has been avoided when neighbours have been targeted so the visual deterrent may have already worked. After installation there are coachbolt heads visible and wrongun's know that means there is extra security.
Also the holes for the keys! But I agree, showing that there is something other than the toy lock that most up and over garage doors have is part of the defense.

Top Bottom