Best lightweight eVENT waterproof?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a decent eVENT waterproof jacket, as want something properly breathable, but that will also keep me dry in downpours, however I'm a bit lost for choice - there seem to be decent jackets by Endura (e.g. Endura Venturi Event), Montane and Gore Bike Wear to name but a few.

Could someone recommend me a jacket? It will mainly be for 3-season use, so ideally I want something reasonably lightweight (300-400g?). Thanks

Tynan

Veteran
I don't thnk there's any such thing for a cyclist, let alone lightweight

Anything that really does breathe enough will let at least damp in

andrew_s

Legendary Member
eVent work better than Paclite (IMO).
My favourite is the Gill Alpha, but Gill pulled out of the cycling market a couple of years ago so I don't expect you'll find one now.

Of the ones you've seen, I'd probably pick the Montane Stormrider over the Endura Venturi on the grounds of non-elasticated cuffs and dayglo yellow.

If you want more of a race cut, with a proper length drop tail rather than the normal slightly dropped MTB cut,
Vaude do this or this

Whatever, if you pay that much for a waterproof, it's worth looking after. Keep it clean, and preserve the DWR as much as possible by keeping it in a stuffsack rather than just bunged in a saddlebag (when not worn). Once the DWR wears, the jacket will wet out sooner when it does rain, and once wetted out it will more or less stop breathing.

If you stick to eVent, which is the best waterproof material going for vigorous activity, then its simply a matter of finding which manufacturers jacket fits you best/ has the features you do/don't want. Personally, I know Gore fits me well but they don't, obviously, use eVent, so I'd look at Endura and Wiggle's own brand dhb. Also look at some of the outdoor brands if you don't mind a more general cut. That said, the Montane above seems to combine the best of all worlds.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
New Horizon said:
If you stick to eVent, which is the best waterproof material going for vigorous activity, then its simply a matter of finding which manufacturers jacket fits you best/ has the features you do/don't want. Personally, I know Gore fits me well but they don't, obviously, use eVent, so I'd look at Endura and Wiggle's own brand dhb.

How does the GORE-TEX® Paclite fabric Gore uses in its jackets around the £150 mark (e.g. the Gore Countdown jacket) compare to eVENT fabric? Is the latter superior in terms of breathability?

Chris James

Über Member
Yes, Event is more breathable.

Paclite ... erm .. packs smaller.

FWIW I am uncovinced of the breathablity of any waterproof jacket. For mountaineering I use pertex and only put on a (cheap) waterproof if it is hammering it down. Having said that, my wife loves her GoreTex ProShell.

Cycling is a massive test of any fabric and I think the design of the jacket, esp venting, is more important in breathability than the exact fabric used. As stated above, if the DWR wets out, there is no humidity gradient across the memmbrane so all membranes stop breathing.

Top Bottom