Best Maintainance Book?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

What is best for a newbie with a touring cycle? Someone recommended Guy Andrews. But What about Haynes or Zinn?

I only want to buy one, so want to get the best.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bandini said:
What is best for a newbie with a touring cycle? Someone recommended Guy Andrews. But What about Haynes or Zinn?

I only want to buy one, so want to get the best.

Like saddles, book choices are personal things.

I've looked at all three and thought them all to be useable. I'm not sure how to judge which is best for you without knowing what your judging criteria is.

andym

Über Member
The problem is that it's difficult to say that one book is the best. They all have strengths and weaknesses. don't expect to find a book that will tell you everything about everything.

That said, the Park Blue Book of Bicycle Repair is pretty good.

Who's Guy Andrews?

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Thanks - all - I think I will just get the guy wotsit or Haynes. That site looks worthwhile - I think I will avoid the 'Zany Facial Hair' section. The Park Tools site looks useful too.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
mike1026 said:
Why buy a book have a look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Sheldon has sadly passed away but he was a great man and a great cyclist.
His site has lots of useful information.
... and don't forget the Bicycle Tutor

I had a look at a couple of books too and finally decided that there is enough stuff on t'interweb, which can be printed onto a cheap bit of paper, thus saving the cost of the book (which tends to be quite pricey, given the number of pics needed).

Other books to consider could be:
Bike Repair Manual - Chris Sidwell
Bicycle Technology - Rob van der Plas
Bicycle Repair: Maintenance/repair of the Modern Bicycle - Rob van der Plas

As has been said, it's a personal thing .... much like your bike :becool:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bandini said:
Thanks - all - I think I will just get the guy wotsit or Haynes. That site looks worthwhile - I think I will avoid the 'Zany Facial Hair' section. The Park Tools site looks useful too.

But you must check out the products in the humour section....;)

Joe

Über Member
Do you plan on carrying it with you? If not I would just teach yourself using the net. I have Park Blue book and Zinns mtb book but always end up using Sheldon/Park websites!

Mycroft

with umpty thousand in sales the Haynes has a fair bit going for it, occasionally I feel it doesn't go into enough hand holding detail, but then it does cover so much.

its a tech manual, however if you are looking for insight to specific issues that cyclists face and YEARS of wisdom, the as usual Sheldon knows best.

recently read his view on front breaks and lever location (left versus right) and it really clarified some views i didn't realise i had :sad: so at the very least Sheldon Brown will provoke you into thinking! never a bad thing.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Mycroft said:
with umpty thousand in sales the Haynes has a fair bit going for it, occasionally I feel it doesn't go into enough hand holding detail, but then it does cover so much.

its a tech manual, however if you are looking for insight to specific issues that cyclists face and YEARS of wisdom, the as usual Sheldon knows best.

recently read his view on front breaks and lever location (left versus right) and it really clarified some views i didn't realise i had :sad: so at the very least Sheldon Brown will provoke you into thinking! never a bad thing.

I will definitely use that site. I will get Zinn or Guy wotsit's to stick in my pannier bag for emergencies! I suppose I could use my phone to connect and fix, but might be a bit awkward!

andym

Über Member
Bandini said:
I will definitely use that site. I will get Zinn or Guy wotsit's to stick in my pannier bag for emergencies! I suppose I could use my phone to connect and fix, but might be a bit awkward!

I'm not sure it's very practical to carry a maintenance manual with you. A sensible tool kit and set of nuts and bolts would probably be a better use of the weight.

If like me you have a mental blindspot about adjusting gears then you could download the Shimano Service Instructions and print them out on a piece of A4.

If you really don't have any experience of servicing your bike yourself then it might be worth signing up for a maintenance class, before going on a long tour. Either that or a DIY class - eg needlessly take the bike apart just to see how it all goes together

If you can:

- fix a puncture and make a temporary repair to a damaged tyre;
- adjust gears;
- adjust your brakes and change your brake pads;
- remove your chain and put it back on again (an SRAM Powerlink helps)
- change a brake or gear cable;
- true a buckled wheel and replace a spoke;

then you should be pretty much prepared for 95 per cent of things that could go wrong. (Or 95 per cent of the things I can think off at this time of the morning)

Top Bottom