Best Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
I know this sounds like a silly question but what is the best type of pump that will be at home not taken out with me. Is a foot pump like you have for the car best or is a track pump better? If so what brands should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance as Im sure you will all help me out ;)

bobg

Über Member
I'd suggest a track pump as the best option, I really couldn't manage without mine. There's a lot to excellent ones out ther and I expect you'll get a whole string of suggestions. I picked an Edinburgh cycles own brand for about £20 quid cos they were highly recommended and on offer. I was in Aldi a couple of weeks ago and they still had loads left from a recent promotion ... dead cheap but I'm not sure about the quality.

Track pump. Definitely. ToPeak and Blackburn are my faves but I actually own a Somethingorother 'Intellihead' which goes straight on to either a Presta or a Schrader valve without any faffing around with washers and rubber bits.

I'll check who makes it when I next visit the shed.

Spend £30 to £40 and it'll last forever, the better brands sell rebuild kits.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
bobg said:
I was in Aldi a couple of weeks ago and they still had loads left from a recent promotion ... dead cheap but I'm not sure about the quality.
FWIW my Lidl track pump started leaking air above 90psi - it did only cost a fiver (had it since May). The problem is in the head, which unfortunately seems to be a sealed unit. Personally, I reckon the old adage "Buy cheap, buy twice" is true for pumps.

bobg

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
FWIW my Lidl track pump started leaking air above 90psi - it did only cost a fiver (had it since May). The problem is in the head, which unfortunately seems to be a sealed unit. Personally, I reckon the old adage "Buy cheap, buy twice" is true for pumps.

The lace broke on my Aldi cycling shoes last week ... gutted, I've only had 'em 3 years:biggrin:. BTW just checked, mines a "Revolution"

I've got one of these and think it's great.

I've also had a cheap Lidl track pump which also worked fine... but only lasted about 12-18 mths before the head failed to secure itself onto the valve... can't really complain though for £2.99p iirc!

OP
OP
boybiker

boybiker

Guru
I went into my Cycles Uk(lbs) and i bought a pump for £29.99 (forgot the brand!) When i got home boy did i realize hoe under inflated my tiers where!

Now I'm on the look out for a good pump i can take out on the road with me! I have a mountain bike and a road bike (cheap) and they both have the diffrent valves so would i need to buy a pump for each one or can i get a dual one(like the track pump)?

Tynan

Veteran
toppeak mini morph is a tiny track pump that will let you inflate north of 100psi without too much effort

there's a couple of frame pumps people rate too

read this 'un for lots of tips

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Plus one for the mini morph. Even a weakling girl like me was able to inflate her tyres enough to carry her and her panniers across the Alps. A brilliant little thing!

Top Bottom