Best Puncture "Proof" knobblies ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Had a spate of punctures with Racing Ralph tyres, I know there are Puncture "Proof" Road and Hybrid tyres, is there anything for MTB's?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They do exist. I've got a pair of Schwalbe Hardliners on my mtb(so) which are puncture resistant and knobbly.

Big heavy lumps though it feels like you're riding a tractor when on the road

kyuss

Veteran
You could try 'ghetto tubeless'. Do a search on youtube/google, there are tons of articles on how to convert. A couple of bmx inner tubes and a bottle of Stans sealant and jobs a good un. Hundreds of people run it without any problems and it's a fraction of the cost of the full Stans conversion kit. I'll be doing the conversion myself when my mtb arrives. Looks a bit fiddly to set up initally but 1-2 years puncture free sounds worth it to me.

Edit: With regards to what happens if the tyre rips. Well, if there is ever a hole big enough that the sealant can't cure, there's nothing stopping you from still carrying a spare tube and tyre boot to chuck in if the worst happens. There are even tubeless kits that contain little rubber 'plugs' that mean you can fix the hole without even removing the tyre.

Cheryl L

Regular
I bought some of the slime inner tubes to give a go last year and I have to say I was very impressed. Cycling round the New Forest I found I was puncturing all the time running on normal inner tubes, but on the slime tubes the only punctures that are a problem are the ones that take a big hole out of the tyre. The slime fills the small punctures pretty quick with only a small amount of air escaping.

When I changed tyres on my MTB I counted 9 punctures on one slime tube that the slime had filled.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/slime/cycle...e+inner+tubes&utm_agroup=Auto+Slime+-+General

Got mine from Wiggle when they had a sale on, not the cheapest of inner tubes but well worth it I thought.

Bodhbh

Guru
You could always stick some Stan's sealant into the inner tubes. You need one of these to remove the valve core to pour in the sealant:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-stans-no-tubes-vale-core-remover-prod18838/

And some sealant:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stans-no-tubes-the-solution-tyre-sealant-pint-16oz-prod18830/

(I find it's worth getting a 2oz refill bottle as well as makes it easier to fill the tubes and measure out 50ml).

Been communting on the MTB the last year and not had a puncture yet in the field, although sometimes come down to a slow flat in the morning. The sealant needs the wheel to spin to work, so if you get a puncture shortly just before you get in the I guess it has chance to go down. In anycase you just pump it up and spin the tyre and away you go.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Ended up with MTB Maraton Plus, Pretty heavy but performed well in frozen snow yesterday, its too early to say , but early indications are good TBH

Top Bottom