Best road rim brake wheelset around £250 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
After my initial post about carbon/ alloy wheels i have been given the go ahead for a purchase but the wheels i was looking at have sold out , mrs ck dithering as usual meant i missed a few deals .
Im looking for road bike wheels , clincher and rim brake for no more than 28s , 25s preferably 11 speed around 1600 gm if possible, currently running a 10 year old pair of superstar elite 24s which although great have a narrow 14 mm rim width so its time i went a bit wider if a i can but the frame dictates clearance
11 speed.jpg

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I tend to look what's on offer and buy those .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a pair of Fulcrum racing 5's. Good wheelset within your budget, 1650 ISH grams. Budget for putting new bearings in at some point as the stock bearings are only sealed on one side so tend to suffer in our weather. Other than that spot on. You could even pick some Ali Express tpu inner tubes for them. 👍

Reactions: gbb

13 rider

Guru
Yes run these with normal tubes and gp5000 , by modern standards quite narrow internal 17.4mm ,can't find anything that states a preferred tyre size

gbb

Legendary Member
I have a pair of Fulcrum racing 5's. Good wheelset within your budget, 1650 ISH grams. Budget for putting new bearings in at some point as the stock bearings are only sealed on one side so tend to suffer in our weather. Other than that spot on. You could even pick some Ali Express tpu inner tubes for them. 👍

I have the 5s as well, a fine pair of wheels IMO. I did many thousands of miles on them, the front once took a heck of a bang in a pothole but no damage whatsoever, despite me thinking in that moment...christ, that's the wheel going to be buckled.
Regarding the bearings, mine are the same. On the originals I don't suffer any water ingress, the unsealed side is on the inside so it's effectively away from any water anyway, plus the second seal will increase friction.
Very very good value wheels IMO.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Gone for the alex wheelset as @13 rider suggested , the dura ace were to far and if im forking out then i prefer something new .
It was a toss up between those and the 5s

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

wheels came today , fitted to the bike ok .
The tyres are tight and i only had 42 mm valve tubes handy , no good as i cant get the pump on them properly .Its a pity s they are conti race tubes, gears indexed but need to adjust brakes as the wider rim means the wheels cant turn .
:sad:
@13 rider what valve length do you use ? i am guessing 60 mm .Those light tubes are great but no good if i cant pump the dang things up .

13 rider

Guru
wheels came today , fitted to the bike ok .
The tyres are tight and i only had 42 mm valve tubes handy , no good as i cant get the pump on them properly .Its a pity s they are conti race tubes, gears indexed but need to adjust brakes as the wider rim means the wheels cant turn .
:sad:
@13 rider what valve length do you use ? i am guessing 60 mm .Those light tubes are great but no good if i cant pump the dang things up .
Honest answer whatever was fitted to the Halfords tubes I used ,they are shortish I,d guess around the 42mm mark but I can get my track pump on them . You have had me checking my spares in my saddle bag just incase and 1 of them is around 60mm the other is shorter but can't measure it without up wrapping it

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Honest answer whatever was fitted to the Halfords tubes I used ,they are shortish I,d guess around the 42mm mark but I can get my track pump on them . You have had me checking my spares in my saddle bag just incase and 1 of them is around 60mm the other is shorter but can't measure it without up wrapping it

I have some 48 s I will try them can't get my track pump on 42 s

Top Bottom