Best route out of Paris heading south

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Any recommendations for getting out of the city?

We're staying fairly centrally and want to head off in the direction of Fontainbleau / Malesherbes - heading for Marseille.

I don't mind a bit of main road if necessary and would rather avoid ultra-slow and fiddly routes, but if there is a nice, quiet traffic-free one, it would be lovely!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I pootled out of town five or six years back on the Seine bike path which is described here I think.

mind you I got repeatedly lost trying to follow his route to Versailles!

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks Greg. I found that page and tried to follow it with a map. It's clearly quite a complicated route and the author has the habit of missing out key details (like which bank of the Seine you are on). So I gave up and thought I'd post here!

There seem to be two options: try to work out how to follow this route, or just brave the (Sunday morning) traffic on the N7. On my own I'd most likely do the latter, but I'm not so I'll try to work it out. With a GPS it would be very easy but without (we're doing a camping trip) it's quite hard. Maybe I'll take the GPS just for this bit: thanks for facilitating me to the answer!

bigjim

Legendary Member
I gave up in Paris and jumped the train to Fontainbleau. Cost me about £7 and well worth it. I was running out of time fighting the traffic in Paris suberbs. See "Paris South" on my blog.
There is a guy somewhere that has put up a complicated route down the Sein but it's full of twists and turns.
Oops. Didn't see link already provided. Deleted

Last edited:
Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I was about to post the same thing. The only time I've ridden into Paris was a nightmare of steep hills alternating with too much traffic. I'm trusting @dellzeqq that his magic route works in a couple of weekends time. I don't know what the rules are, but there is plenty of room in the lobbies of the RER trains (which go out beyond the rough suburbs) for bikes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks Greg. I found that page and tried to follow it with a map. It's clearly quite a complicated route and the author has the habit of missing out key details (like which bank of the Seine you are on). So I gave up and thought I'd post here!

There seem to be two options: try to work out how to follow this route, or just brave the (Sunday morning) traffic on the N7. On my own I'd most likely do the latter, but I'm not so I'll try to work it out. With a GPS it would be very easy but without (we're doing a camping trip) it's quite hard. Maybe I'll take the GPS just for this bit: thanks for facilitating me to the answer!
I plotted it on bikehike I think assuming he followed broadly the cycle routes using OSM/OCM and stuck it on my old etrex but didn't then follow it religiously as I'm a bit of a "same general direction" follow-the-railway-line navigator when pootling. Cos then you can use a railway map for general direction and bail when it starts raining!

Except in Brussels. In Brussels you stick to the cycle route or find yourself in some very odd places.

Top Bottom