Best shampoo for glaucoma check?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm just about to go for a glaucoma check and washed my hair a few minutes ago. Naturally, I got loads of shampoo in my eyes which are now very bloodshot and I'm blinking like crazy - D'oh! :blush:

On a more serious note - people with a family history of glaucoma have about a six percent chance of developing glaucoma. My mum lost most of the sight in one eye due to it so that's why I'm having my eyes checked. The checks are free on the NHS if a close family member suffers from the condition.
Glaucoma doesn't necessarily give you any obvious warning signs so it can be too late if you wait until your vision is affected by it. Have your eyes checked regularly, folks!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm just about to go for a glaucoma check and washed my hair a few minutes ago. Naturally, I got loads of shampoo in my eyes which are now very bloodshot and I'm blinking like crazy - D'oh! :blush:

On a more serious note - people with a family history of glaucoma have about a six percent chance of developing glaucoma. My mum lost most of the sight in one eye due to it so that's why I'm having my eyes checked. The checks are free on the NHS if a close family member suffers from the condition.
Glaucoma doesn't necessarily give you any obvious warning signs so it can be too late if you wait until your vision is affected by it. Have your eyes checked regularly, folks!

IIRC the eye tests only become free on your 40th birthday and you only get one a year. It is certainly worth having your eyes checked though, my father suffers from glaucoma so I've claimed my free tests. Touch wood I've no problems as yet and the optician is happy for me to have a test once every two years.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My wife, whose eyes are absolutely fine, happened to mention to an optician that there's glaucoma in her family and now she gets free checkups.

Maz

Guru
Is the glaucoma check the one where a very sharp puff of air [or chemicals?] is blown into your eyes? I had that once.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is the glaucoma check the one where a very sharp puff of air [or chemicals?] is blown into your eyes? I had that once.
I'm back!

I had some drops put in which the optician said were to numb the eyes and then he brought a small instrument up to each eye in turn and did whatever he did. It was slightly disconcerting having something brought up that close, but I didn't feel anything. The pressures in my eyes are okay, so no worries for now.
I already knew that I need weak reading glasses for small print and/or bad light conditions so that didn't come as a surprise. 

IIRC the eye tests only become free on your 40th birthday and you only get one a year.
You qualify for a free NHS funded sight test if you are:

• aged under 16, or aged under 19 and in full-time education
  • aged 60 or over
  • registered blind or partially sighted
  • diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
  • aged 40 or over and you are the parent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a person diagnosed with glaucoma, or you have been advised by an ophthalmologist that you are at risk of glaucoma
  • eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher

You are also entitled to a free NHS sight test if:

• you receive Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (not contribution based)
  • you receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • you receive Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • you are entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
  • you are named on a valid NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2)
  • People named on an NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) may also get help

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm back!

I had some drips put in which the optician said were to numb the eyes and then he brought a small instrument up to each eye in turn and did whatever he did. It was slightly disconcerting having something brought up that close, but I didn't feel anything. The pressures in my eyes are okay, so no worries for now.

Oh I have the puff of air into mine and I hate it. I've never had drops put in yet.

Btw my dad maintains that he never actually had a problem with his eyes (other than needing glasses) until they did the air glaucoma test on him. He's always been a bit contrary though.

bobg

Über Member
Might be worth bearing in mind that the contraption that they use to test glaucoma at the optician is not wildly accurate. I was getting dizzy spells when I got up and the optician said that it might be worth mentioning to the doc that his test showed the pressure levels to be "a bit high". The doc sent me to the hospital, they tested and it was "way too high" I mentioned the contradiction to the hospital opthalmologist and he said that the tests he does are far more accurate to the extent that there could easily be a 50% difference in the two readings. Bit shocking I thought! Daily drops keeps the pressure down and there is an operation if this doesnt. I'm on the former at the moment - bit worrying though...

Maz

Guru
IIRC the eye tests only become free on your 40th birthday and you only get one a year.
What about the other eye?

Top Bottom