Best software for a non-competitive guy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ciquta

been looking into a virtual training software/setup to keep me in shape for the winter

I'm not a competitive guy. I just do gravel/cyclotouring occasionally, so I really don't care about numbers, heart rate and even social aspects like in zwift.

My dream software would be one that let me go throug real paths to set a real goal for the winter (eg: cross Europe or get from Canada to Mexico)
I've tried bkool but it seems not allowing me to update paths longer than 100km.. :sad:

any suggestion?

The Rover

Guru
I’m using fulgaz. It’s constantly developing with loads of choice and well priced. I’ve paid for a years subscription with works out at just over a fiver a month.

I’m going to cancel Bkool as I’ve lost faith with it.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I do like being able to upload my own routes to BKool, but I feel it has real limitations when you do so, especially for video rides. My goto software at the moment is BigRingVR which is really all about climbing, although there are flatter and some longish routes around, not that it would allow you to cycle in a continuous manner, although with my video files and gpx track I can do that for rides I've done IRL ... I have made some of these available, but they are large files, and mostly only from my trip to Mallorca this year.

If you have a ride that is longer than 100km you could always use the FitFileRepairTool to split it into 2 or 3 parts and upload those to BKool, which should then allow you to generate the rides in 3D assuming the ride fits the criteria ... In fact for a 3D ride the max length is 60Km ... You used to be able to 'cheat' this if you had a video route and could upload a 100K Video route and convert it to 3D but then have changed the software on the server to prevent this. My rides fail to convert to 3D because the Gradient changes too swiftly apparently, even though altitude was measured with my Edge1000, and when I stitched the video file together, I ensured the altitudes were consistent from segment to segment ... apparently you can't go from 0% to 2.1% in a 1 second recording interval

OP
OP
ciquta

ciquta

had a look, but al those SW seems to be video-based

I find video training cheesy, anyway too limiting if you want to use your own route

OP
OP
ciquta

ciquta

I guess illI go with Bkool smart bike and software

hopefully it will get better with time

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I guess illI go with Bkool smart bike and software

hopefully it will get better with time

Even if you go with Bkool I wouldn’t bother paying for the bike. Why not just get a second hand Bkool pro unit?

OP
OP
ciquta

ciquta

Even if you go with Bkool I wouldn’t bother paying for the bike. Why not just get a second hand Bkool pro unit?
- I really want it to be silent
- i don't have a spare bike
- I'm a huge guy (6'3") and second hand gravel bike that fits me are not so common on 2nd hand (road geo not of my lickings)
- with a dicrectdrive+sparebike I'm gonna spend about the same (even more)
- I'm not a DIY guy, can't set up properly a cassette and drivetrain on my own

I think I'm going to be happy with a stationary bike without all the fuss of a proper road-alike trainer, and Bkool semms the best software for me

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
- I really want it to be silent
- i don't have a spare bike
- I'm a huge guy (6'3") and second hand gravel bike that fits me are not so common on 2nd hand (road geo not of my lickings)
- with a dicrectdrive+sparebike I'm gonna spend about the same (even more)
- I'm not a DIY guy, can't set up properly a cassette and drivetrain on my own

I think I'm going to be happy with a stationary bike without all the fuss of a proper road-alike trainer, and Bkool semms the best software for me

I get what you’re saying. I can see how people start to do the research, find the Bkool bike, and it seems to tick a lot of the boxes. Stand alone bike, decent price versus the competition and not too noisey.

I think having first hand experience of Bkool has made me somewhat cyclical towards them. The eBay listing TB put up shows a unit for 500 that cost 1k 3 months ago. That might also be a little signal to be fair.

Rod McG

Über Member
I think having first hand experience of Bkool has made me somewhat cyclical towards them. The eBay listing TB put up shows a unit for 500 that cost 1k 3 months ago. That might also be a little signal to be fair.
I have found Bkool to suit my needs, go for it!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I have found Bkool to suit my needs, go for it!
Bkool ticks a lot of boxes. :thumbsup:

I am a subscriber and have been for 4 years, also many on this trainer group are or were subscribers. It is just that Bkool have had many issues pointed out to them and they have done little to nothing to sort the issues out.

If you use a non bkool trainer you will get an entirely different experience, particularly in a race.

Is it a good platform? Yes, if you use a bkool trainer.

Is it the best? No.

What is the best platform? That depends on what you want and assumes that that will not change.

Bkool is a good starting point to show what can be done with a trainer. But ultimately there are better specific options out there that may better suit your needs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom