Best strategy - eBay auction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect you are right especially for popular items.

I guess there will be a few bargains where items are poorly listed or the market is small, and some that will achieve high prices when buyers see the auction as a competition rather than a purchase.

My item now has loads of watchers so I'm not hopeful of a bargain. I know my maximum and that is what I will bid.

Sometimes you can have loads of watchers and nobody bids .

Kingfisher101

Ãœber Member

The clients of Ebay do this so that the seller reduces the item in price. I wont as I'll play the long game and price my things fairly to start with. Too many idiots on Ebay who want you to give away things for virtually free.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

The clients of Ebay do this so that the seller reduces the item in price. I wont as I'll play the long game and price my things fairly to start with. Too many idiots on Ebay who want you to give away things for virtually free.

I will often watch things for reference if I am trying to collate and figure out the best prices, etc.

Either that or I'll watch something out of curiosity to see what happens.

Me watching something does not necessarily mean I am going to buy.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I will often watch things for reference if I am trying to collate and figure out the best prices, etc.
Or search for completed/sold items!

They also show you sale dates, and seasonal price variations are interesting: mostly as expected - but REALLY Weird as xmas approaches, often defying explanation.

There are some amazing bargains in late Nov/early Dec.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Or search for completed/sold items!

They also show you sale dates, and seasonal price variations are interesting: mostly as expected - but REALLY Weird as xmas approaches, often defying explanation.

There are some amazing bargains in late Nov/early Dec.

I have rarely used the 'completed' facility, I simply work on what is available, I don't want to see if I have just just missed some wonderful bargain 🤷

I have rarely used the 'completed' facility, I simply work on what is available, I don't want to see if I have just just missed some wonderful bargain 🤷

I think it does depend what you're looking for, though.

With mass-produced items like watches and jewellery (although this also applies to a lot of other things too), then yes, it does help to look at past listings to see where the market is at. Although condition also plays a big part as well.

It's all part of knowing your onions.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I think it does depend what you're looking for, though.

With mass-produced items like watches and jewellery (although this also applies to a lot of other things too), then yes, it does help to look at past listings to see where the market is at. Although condition also plays a big part as well.

It's all part of knowing your onions.

It's not a lot of mass produced things I look at anyway, save for, maybe models or whatever and even then, sometimes I still don't want to know what I've just missed! 😆

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for your advice.

I promised @Mad Doug Biker that I'd report back.

I was bidding on a Spa Audax frame and fork which eventually went for £144.50, my maximum bid was £142.50. If I'd been successful I would have used the bits from my Felt F75 to build a lighter steel bike than my current two.

Top Bottom