Best TV Show Dialogue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Following on from yesterday's post about the best TV show ever I thought I'd start one on the best snatch of dialogue you can recall.

My favourite old TV show was The Rockford Files and I loved this riff from Rockfords low-life friend Angel when he steps into Rockfords trailer and finds Rockford engaged in a losing chess match with his father. After studying the board for a few moments Angel then brilliantly deconstructs the game in jailhouse slang:

"This game's over, man! You gotta move your Boss or Rocky's gonna lay a subpoena on him. Then his Torpedo is gonna smoke your Old Lady and all your Heavies'll be doing time - except for maybe your Mouthpiece, but Rocky’s Sheriff got him put in the corner - you got nothing left but punks and junkies: you're through, Jimmy..."

Reactions: Maz

Lee_M

Guru
Alan partridge last night

"if it wasn't for Howard Carter discovering Tutankhamuns tomb, archeology would still be called digging"

Maz

Guru

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Never watched 'em but caught a snatch of Taxi or Cheers or one of those shows back in the day, and there was some wild-haired character waxing lyrical:

"She was one helluva woman. I might have married her."
"Why didn't you?"
(guy looks a bit thrown...)
"I said - I might have."

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Put ya trousers on..ya nicked!

We're the Sweeney, son and we 'aven't 'ad our dinner.

Downton christmas special:

Former suitor to the daughter of the Earl of Grantham just after she'd broken up with him, talking to the Earl's mother "I'm afraid I don't think we'll be seeing each other again"

Earl's mother " Do you promise? "

carolonabike

Too many to mention from Frasier but this one still makes me laugh - Niles on coming into a room after someone had sprayed an unpleasant air freshener.

"Oh what's that smell, it smells like a fish died and the other fish brought flowers." :laugh:

Or on fishing, "I never liked fishing until I realised how many shopping opportunities there are."

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Trigger, Del, Rodders, Sid and Boycie chatting in Sid's cafe. Trigger has just been presented with an award for saving the council money.

Trigger: And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.
Sid: How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?
Trigger: Theres the picture. What more proof do you need?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Downton christmas special:

Former suitor to the daughter of the Earl of Grantham just after she'd broken up with him, talking to the Earl's mother "I'm afraid I don't think we'll be seeing each other again"

Earl's mother " Do you promise? "

Downton Abbey is superbly written, with Maggie Smith delivering her acid one-liners with polite brutality.

I remember another scene where she enters a room at Downton where two people are talking in conspiratorial fashion and says, "I do hope I'm interrupting".

GC

Downton Abbey is superbly written, with Maggie Smith delivering her acid one-liners with polite brutality.

I remember another scene where she enters a room at Downton where two people are talking in conspiratorial fashion and says, "I do hope I'm interrupting".

GC

There are too many of her one liners to remember!

Top Bottom