Best value British Sportives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lighthorse

How many times up Ellington Hill ?

pprince

You have answered my question almost perfectly.

A sportive is an opportunity for a novice, newbie or a cyclist who is NOT a competitive member of a cycle club to get the challenge and feel of riding a bike in a pack of riders against the clock.

My frustration yesterday was born by the 'ultra quick' filling of the Mad March Hare. My suspicions were that the entrants are 'friends and club colleagues' of the organisers, who got the information about the ride months before the first day of on-line entry.

This one I would like to shame, as it appears to me to reek of 'insider information'.

I would bet some money ( the entry fee ) that most of the riders signed up to the Mad March Hare are competitive club riders from local clubs, aiming to use the event as a reliability trial.

This brings my second question to bear. The moral responsibility of the organiser.

They are the people who decide who rides and who doesn't. They have ( I am sure ) given warning to their muckers to 'get in early' or "we will have proles on old tatty bikes with us."

just been googling my event and dropped on this conversation about it.
Made me chuckle how you came to such a daft conclusion about my event.

ferret fur

Sorry to be dense, but I take it that everyone is aware that the OP is advertising his own event with this thread. I'm sorry but I find this method of pushing an event more than a little underhand. If I lived in that neck of the woods it would put me off entering TBH.

Albert

Über Member
Preseli Angel. Trans Cambrian. Iron Mountain. One of the Cyclops series. They are all decently organised, friendly and have great routes. :thumbsup:

You have answered my question almost perfectly.

A sportive is an opportunity for a novice, newbie or a cyclist who is NOT a competitive member of a cycle club to get the challenge and feel of riding a bike in a pack of riders against the clock.

My frustration yesterday was born by the 'ultra quick' filling of the Mad March Hare. My suspicions were that the entrants are 'friends and club colleagues' of the organisers, who got the information about the ride months before the first day of on-line entry.

This one I would like to shame, as it appears to me to reek of 'insider information'.

I would bet some money ( the entry fee ) that most of the riders signed up to the Mad March Hare are competitive club riders from local clubs, aiming to use the event as a reliability trial.

This brings my second question to bear. The moral responsibility of the organiser.

They are the people who decide who rides and who doesn't. They have ( I am sure ) given warning to their muckers to 'get in early' or "we will have proles on old tatty bikes with us."

Having done the MMH yesterday I can honestly say that this wasn`t the case from what I saw .Yes there were quite a few club riders ,however there were also lots of non club riders as well including me .For the money ( £10) the event was brilliant .Route signage was excellent .The course was great with just the right mix of hills.The feedstation had all you needed .There was a queue for the free bacon bap at the end , but that is a minor point really .

Top Bottom