Best value road bike under £2,000 - advice please !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevin1708

Hi Guys . . . as you mayknow I am new to this and looking to move from my Specialized Hybrid to adedicated road bike – it is a mine field out there (for the uninitiated atleast . . .) I think it is going to be the Pinarello FP2 as I am told that fora road bike of this specification £2,000 is a good price . . . But, I would appreciateany advice. Cheers

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You are paying a lot of money for the brand when you get a pinarello.
Go for a lesser brand like focus but it's still a very good bike and you get better components for £500 less.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-cayo-20-ultegra-compact-2011/

+1 for Focus. If value for money is important, (and it is in your title after all), then Focus are pretty much unbeatable.

The range seems to have dwindled lately, Focus still make a good range but Wiggle don't seem to carry them.

The full range of Focus bikes can be viewed HERE

When I bought a Focus Cayo Pro in '99 it was £2100 with full Dura-Ace 7900, and to get the same spec in a Scott or Spesh for example, (to name just 2 of the big boys), wouldn't have given me any change from at least £3k.

The Cayo Pro now seems to have been replaced with the Izalco Pro Dura-Ace

I no longer ride a Focus but that's purely for personal reasons, Wiggle's service is very good and Focus' customer service is very good too.

If you want to stand out a bit, (although they are far more popular these days), and you don't want to ride the same bike you see virtually everyone else riding, get a Focus.

[EDIT] For the record, over the last couple of years while bike prices have generally increased the spec you get seems to have gone backwards. I often see £2k bikes with Shimano 105! There is absolutely nothing wrong with 105, (I want a 105 black groupset if anyone's selling), but not on a £2k bike. A £2k bike used to mean you'd be getting full Ultegra, but not anymore in a lot of cases, yet Focus still seem to buck this trend as the Izaclo above with full DA proves IMHO.

I have just taken delivery from Wiggle of a Focus Cayo 2.0 with Ultegra spec (mainly). The bike is is great (although I am no expert) and comes in at just under £1500.00. Similar spec carbon road bikes from other makers are nearer the £2000.00 mark.

I am riding it on a 30 day test ride available from Wiggle and will be trying others before I make a final decision. However I may go for a bike with 105 groupset. The Focus Cayo dressed like this can be had for £1100.00.

This is my thread where I am looking for a road bike with more info on the Cayo. Why not try a test ride?

Cheers

Top Bottom