Best way to clean a helmet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oscarplu

oscarplu

Über Member
magnatom said:
Hold on... your supposed to wash your (cycle) helmet?! Umm, err, I might not have done that in the 4 years I've had it.....:wacko:
You must have mushrooms growing in there!!!! Get it in the shower!!!!

oscarplu said:
You must have mushrooms growing in there!!!! Get it in the shower!!!!

Nah, it's my contribution to the plant a tree project...:wacko:

Jonathan M

oscarplu said:
Im pretty new to helmet wearing, and it gets pretty sweaty under there at times!! Just wondered if anyone has any tips for keeping the inside clean and free from sweat!!! So far ive been using a fast evapourating anti bacterial hand gel , (like the ones they use in hospitals), as it dries fast. Someone told me to put it in the dishwasher, buti dont think that would be a good idea!!!! Any suggestions?????:thumbsup::wacko:

Not sure that will do the polystyrene any good. Wouldn't think the dishwasher would either.

Soapy water, or just wait until a rainy day and go for a ride.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Joe24 said:
My helmet has developed a big crack in the front of it
If i shower with my helmet, will it come out like new and the crack be gone?

If it is cracked and you wearing it for "safety" reasons you should throw it away, if you just wear it as a fashion statement (which is all a cycle helmet really is) then just carry on...

magnatom said:
Hold on... your supposed to wash your (cycle) helmet?! Umm, err, I might not have done that in the 4 years I've had it.....:biggrin:

Cycle helmets are supposed to be replaced every 3 years, as the polystyrene they are made of hardens over time and so instead of (supposedly) absorbing any impact, it transmits. Then again if you are only using it as a place to mount a camera that doesn't really matter... ;)

redjedi

Über Member
I usually take the pads out of my helmet, put them in a little string bag and throw them in the washing machine.
My last helmet had straps that could be removed, these would also go in, but my new helmet doesn't appear to have removable straps. I guess I will have to take it in the shower with me.
That's going to get some strange looks from my housemates.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
HJ said:
If it is cracked and you wearing it for "safety" reasons you should throw it away, if you just wear it as a fashion statement (which is all a cycle helmet really is) then just carry on...

I wear it because my mum tells me to. So i wear it.
I think it is her that has broken it though:wacko:

Cant afford a new one, i should be fine, just need to not fall off:wacko:

Top Bottom