Best way to set up SPDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tricksta

designer/maker fixer/breaker
I have just fitted my new SPD pedals (Shimano M520) and the cleats to the sole of my Diadora Caymano shoes (got them on ebay, look more like a skate/low ankle walking shoe with plenty of grip but very small fitting, I had to get a Euro45 read about 10.5 Uk size, even though I'm an 8-9!).

Anyway back to my question, what is the best way to get the cleats seated in the correct place on the bottom of the shoe? I have also heard that some recumbent riders ( or should that be pilots :biggrin: ) lengthen the cleat bolt slots towards the heel to place the cleat nearer the center of the foot.

Would be grateful for any advice, pointers opinions from others.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As regards front to back, it's common to centre the cleat directly over the ball of your foot. In bare feet, work out where the widest part of your foot is. That is the lengthways position for the centre of the cleat, front to back on the shoe. Another consideration is the angle at which the cleat points, and this depends how your feet hang naturally. Sit on your kitchen worktop and let your feet dangle over the edge. The angle at which your feet point naturally (when dangling) is the one that most people aim for when their shoes are on the pedals. It stops your knees getting battered. There is loads of stuff on the subject on Google and YouTube, BTW.

Good luck.

EDIT!!!! Sorry, I didn't realise that this was a thread for 'bents! Ignore my rubbish advice. Apologies.

BenM

Veteran
When I put my SPDs on the Orca I just guessed...
I put the cleat under the ball of my foot and, as I know one foot doesn't point straight forwards I allowed for a little rotation.
After riding a little I just moved things around a bit and rode some more, repeating until the new aches in the knees/ankles/feet went away. I must have them about right because I had no problems after a 70 mile ride last autumn.
It is probably much easier on a trike than a bike owing to the lack of falling off involved ^_^

henshaw11

I use the same shoes/approach as for the mtb etc - cleat about or just behind the ball of the foot, or roughly where it's widest. I think I've heard something similar about moving the cleat further back, but I'm not aware there's any good reason for it. Check there's a bit of rotational float in both directions. I believe your foot rotates out slightly as your foot lifts, so it's probably more crucial in one direction.
I once replaced some cleats with some that had *no* float and it took me a few days before I realised why my knees were grumbling...

You *might* need to adjust your boom length a tad depending on how that compares to your previous shoes/pedals, but there seems to be a bit more leg length leeway on 'bents (or at least one mine) - on a DF I can tell if my saddle's too low by about 5mm.

I think I've heard something similar about moving the cleat further back, but I'm not aware there's any good reason for it.
The only time you need to set your cleats further back is if you suffer badly from heel strike. Either on the ground or the front wheel, it depends on the type of bent you ride what you catch on.
I ride an ICE sprint and set my cleats to the widest part of my foot, but on a single track road with a good crown I can still just catch my heels on the ground.
If it was any more common I'd consider setting the a couple of mil further back to just give me a little more clearence.
Then again shorter cranks would help a lot, 150mm vs 170mm ............ :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
I found I suffered very bad hot foot and/or numb toes with SPDs, as I have 4 different shoes I was certain it was the SPDs so changed to Crank Brothers Mallet and Candy pedals. They worked very well and even better with the cleats as far toward the heel as they'll go.

Kyle Jones

So, i get numbness in my right foot only when riding over 30 or so miles. Becomes annoying. SO if i adjust my cleat positioning, this will fix the issue?

starhawk

I'm planning to buy new shoes and moving the cleats back, have touched the ground on numerous occations. The only problem is how to attach them to the new position. Anyone who have a suggestion?

byegad

Legendary Member
So, i get numbness in my right foot only when riding over 30 or so miles. Becomes annoying. SO if i adjust my cleat positioning, this will fix the issue?

Possibly and well worth a try.

I found SPDs concentrate the pressure on the cleat area, whereas my CB pedals are eggbeater centres and a surrounding platform that takes the pressure so the cleat doesn't really get all you effort through it.

Top Bottom