Bethany Edinburgh Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done it before when it was 110 miles; it was a bit of a scorcher that day :smile: What I remember on one of the last big climbs hearing somebody behind be shouting 'oh bugg'r' just as I accelerated over the crest :laugh: . He must have been drafting me as I crawled up the hill and quickly dropped him when I instantly accelerated over the crest (going up several gears), I like the campy gears for that.

Waspie

Über Member
I've done the long route for the last 3 years. Go for it, nice quiet roads apart from a couple of miles on the A7. Lovely scenic route as well. Well organised with a friendly atmosphere.

I didn't think it was well organised when I did it but the weather/scenery made up for it. There was one particular sharp right turn on to a side road at the bottom of a main road which wasn't well signed in advance :-( Just one water stop out of the back of a car! It sounds like it has improved from Waspie's post above.

Waspie

Über Member
They tweaked where the food stops were. Think there were two last year if memory serves, one in the mountain bike car park in Innerleithen where the 72 milers will turn off from the longer route and one near Stow on the Old Stage Road. Still out the back of a van, but they had a couple of seats set up for folk to have a rest.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Yes, I would say it's fairly hilly. The last 10 miles or so are all downhill though^_^

Thanks, think ill sign up for it, will be my biggest cycle if i manage it :blush:

doonhaemer

I will be doing it again this year. Did the full route first year and the 72 miler second year. I was involved in getting this event going and designed the route, so my opinion on the route is biased, but I think it's spectacular and on mainly very quiet roads.
It might not have the buzzes and bells of some glitzy events, but i think it's always been well organised as far as the things that matter are concerned.
In the first two years when i rode there were 3 feed drink stations on the long route and 2 on the shorter one. Not sure what they have since we took a few miles off the long route, but i think there are at least two.

All of your entry fee goes directly to the charity.

In short , definitely go for it, you won't be disappointed, see you there

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I will be doing it again this year. Did the full route first year and the 72 miler second year. I was involved in getting this event going and designed the route, so my opinion on the route is biased, but I think it's spectacular and on mainly very quiet roads.
It might not have the buzzes and bells of some glitzy events, but i think it's always been well organised as far as the things that matter are concerned.
In the first two years when i rode there were 3 feed drink stations on the long route and 2 on the shorter one. Not sure what they have since we took a few miles off the long route, but i think there are at least two.

All of your entry fee goes directly to the charity.

In short , definitely go for it, you won't be disappointed, see you there

If i wasnt going to before i am now :thumbsup:

Top Bottom