Bianchi Vs. Orbea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Round Up! Round Up!

Tonights battle of two 2nd hand bicycles for the affection of my girlfriend

In the blue corner stands

An all Italian Bianchi, small mens aluminium frame with carbon front and rear forks, comes equipped with Campagnolo 2008 Mirage, Bianchi branded brakes and wheels and a pair of Look Keo pedals.

She's ridden it, she liked, all we need to do is buy it!!!!!!!!! Bicycle

1311796547_0.jpg

In the Red corner

An Orbea Aqua, the larger Spaniard comes equipped with a Shimano 105 groupset, carbon front forks and Vittoria Zaffiro White tyres.

The mystery choice I'm sure she'll enjoy!!!!! Bicycle
77313166.jpg

OK people, both are in a similar price. She's tried the Bianchi and loved it but we have to wait until Sunday before we can buy it, he won't end the auction early, damn ebay.

The Orbea is a mystery choice I've found for her, we can buy it now, both will probably end up in the same price region.

Bianchi Pro's
Perfect fit frame
Brand image
Extremely light frame
All Italian - Campag Mirage
Pretty colour suitable for women and looks so cool
Condition
Comfort - really is amazingly smooth
Local collection
That Campag tick, oh god it is good. Also loud enough to alert other road users to your presence
Compact frame size puts her in the correct riding position comfortably

Bianchi Con's
Could be pricey
Mirage is the entry level group set
Replacement chain and cassette, so not as described (less than 100 miles use since new)
Shifters are multi shift, I personally prefer single shift as heavy handed
GF wants taller handlebar
Needs new handlebar tape

Orbea Pro's

Shimano 105 is the flagship Shimano groupset, smooth and quiet
Shimano - cheap replacement parts
Shimano - her mum likes it, regardless of how often it goes wrong, requires adjustment, needs replacing
Definate price
Better sadle
White tyres look the business
I think this will be easier to re-sell if she upgrades further
Big enough for me to ride regularly when staying over at her house
Could collect tonight

Orbea Cons
Shimano - I'm not particularly fond of the stuff, unreliable and in constant need of adjustment and attention
Larger frame = lower saddle, it will fit but she'll try to sit up and beg
Frame will probably rattle her teeth out
Needs new handlebar tape
Messy looking cables that may need to be tidied up.
She may not like the colour scheme and styling as much as the Bianchi
Will have to travel to collect

So the battle is on.

Which would you chose and why?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Shimano in constant need of adjustment?

OP
OP
W
Every single Shimano equipped bike I've used or had experience with has required constant maintenance.

It may be that I've only experienced the crappy lower ends but my experience is that it doesn't last.

Even the pedals and cleats I bought brand new last month are wearing quickly.

I'd hang off and wait for the Bianchi as she likes it and you know it fits well. On a personal note I also prefer the gear change on campy I can reach it from more positions (I'm able to flick the gear trigger whilst on the flat) and I like the less messy cabling. I cant say I've had to adjust shimano 105 more though.

wildjetskier

How queer, This was exactly my choice a little while ago. I went for the Orbea, bought it off here funnily enough, and I love it. The Bianchi in my opinion looks better , but as I keep telling my missus, looks are everything darlin !!

Judderz

As an Orbea Aqua owner, and with only Shimano 2300 on it, and with over 1500 miles put on it, never once had to adjust anything on it, rides like a dream. It's the same set up as the one you're looking at (Alu frame & Carbon forks), and it doesn't rattle my teeth out, such a smooth ride.

So for me, I'd say go for the Orbea.

Can't comment since I have owned neither make of bike.

But I prefer the looks of the Orbea. It's a n+1 for me.

I don't like the look of the Bianchi top tube.

And I've no complaints about any of the Shimano equipment I've used.

jpb

The Orbea wins hands down. I have an Orbea aqua with Tiagra and I absolutely love it. It's a good frame and I have now taken the Tiagra off and upgraded to ultegra 6700. The zaffiro tyres are good too. Even though they're cheap, I've only had one puncture in 1000 miles. The Orbea looks a lot better too. The Bianchi looks like a teenage boys bike that you'd put a plastic carton on the back wheel to make it sound like a motor bike!

Russell Allen

I have ridden both of these, I own a Bianchi Via Nirone Ultegra. The Bianchi is more comfortable, the Orbea Aqua more taught and punchy. Both are great bikes in there own right, my two favorite brands in fact. The Orbea climbs better and descends with great confidence, the Bianchi is more forgiving on bumpy surfaces and much more comfortable for those with a less flexible back (old farts like me) These differences are not huge and in the end I base my choices on how the bike makes me feel when I am riding it. I would happily have either. As for the groupset issue - I have shimano on all my bikes and hardly ever touch them other than a spray of GT85 and a bit of lube on the chain, not the purists choice but easy to look after.

Russell

Top Bottom