Bib shorts with compression for tall, slim riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWMc

If you are tall and slim like me, then you have probably had the same difficulty in finding bib shorts that fit well. Originally, I looked at the problem as relating to leg length of the shorts only, but I later realised that compression at the cuff plays as big a part. For example, my XL LeCol Pro bib shorts, which I otherwise rate quite highly in terms of comfort and longevity, are quite long in the leg but the diameter of the cuff exceeds the diameter of my legs just above the knee so they tend to ride up my legs until they find the diameter of resistance i.e. they look shorter on me than a similarly tall rider with more chunky legs. Hope that makes sense.

So what I really needed, and have subsequently found, are shorts that are quite long in the leg and have sufficient compression at the cuff to prevent them from riding up my legs.

The table below contains the measurements of the cuff (I measured half the diameter) compared to my leg measurements just above the knee. I have calculated compression simply as leg half circumference minus cuff half circumference; shorts with positive compression highlighted in green, shorts with no compression or baggy highlighted in red. I own most of the shorts therein, purchased over the last 12 years - some are overdue retirement like the DHBs! Others like the Castellis I have measured in one of my LBSs.

The only two brands I own that are consistently long with good compression are Gobik and LaPassione, regardless of model. Some brands like Castelli and Bioracer vary from model to model and it's not always obvious from the description which have more compression e.g. The Castelli Velocissimo have noticeably more compression at the cuff than the Competizione which in turn have more compression than the Entrata. Similarly, Bioracer Epic are good whilst the Spitfire are loose in the same size.

If anyone else has similar experience or wants to add their favourite shorts for slim legs, then please feel free to post.

Bib shorts.png

Gobik Matt 312 custom
20240119_203121.jpeg

Yours truly at the Gorg Blau, Mallorca wearing a pair of Gobik Absolute.
Screenshot_20240119_202645_Gallery.jpeg

Top Bottom