W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Lotus

I've tried a vast array of makes over the years.

As has already been noted, we are all different sizes and shapes, so zero guarantees here.

You have to be prepared to try different makes and models with the possibilty they will not be right, it can be an expensive business.
What budget are you looking at?

Assos shorts for me, do not work with my shape - I'm pretty slim (Not currently admittedly!) and they just aren't comfy for me, or the one I tried at any rate, someone referred the pad as being akin to a nappy, and on that front I can agree.
The cost of them plus that experience, simply put me off trying any other models, and I have moved onto other makes.

My two favourite shorts are:

Rapha Pro Classic II (£100 when bought as part of a bundle and when they used to have discount codes)
La Passione Classic (Circa £60 in a sale - I have 4 of these)

I'll also give a BIG shout out to the Progetto X2 pad, which is sublime, I have it in some Chpt3 shorts, Omloop long thermal shorts, and some Sorpasso bibtights, and for me, this pad comes exceedingly close to the two above.

At the end of last year I got a bit curious about finding some other brands that might work for me, so bought a pair of Lusso DRS shorts, which were very good, but for me were not quite as good as my best two.
Additionally I managed to lay hands on a pair of 7Mesh Mk3 bibshorts, which if you read the reviews, every single one seems to be glowing to put it mildly.
I didn't receive this pair until the winter, and as these are my best hope for eclipsing the Rapha and LP shorts, I won't short change them on the turbo!

I shall attempt to remember to update this thread when I do try them in anger though.

EDIT: Short change was not meant to be a pun! :blush:

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Tight down below is generally good, as long as they're not cutting off the blood supply. Shorts that are too baggy in the crotch area can lead to real pain, if you're a bloke, as things bounce on the nose of the saddle and get bruised.

I get through far too many pairs of shorts in a week* to buy expensive ones. My current commuting ones were less than £10 a pair and have done about 4 years so far.

*if you buy expensive ones and wear underwear in order to get more successive days out of them, you're doing it wrong. Oh so wrong.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Tight down below is generally good, as long as they're not cutting off the blood supply. Shorts that are too baggy in the crotch area can lead to real pain, if you're a bloke, as things bounce on the nose of the saddle and get bruised.

I get through far too many pairs of shorts in a week* to buy expensive ones. My current commuting ones were less than £10 a pair and have done about 4 years so far.

*if you buy expensive ones and wear underwear in order to get more successive days out of them, you're doing it wrong. Oh so wrong.
Try riding in colder conditions , things dont get enough blood to bounce :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

All depends on how often you want use them, what you're using them for, do you want to be one of the 'in' crowd, have deeper pockets than you have sense, I've just bought a pair of MTB bib shorts to wear over my 3/4 bibs at £74.99 I had to have a lie down after buying them. I find cycling clothing a big rip-off, but then again people justify themselves by saying they are a label, marketing bullshit as far as I'm concerned. During the summer I wear a set by muddyfox, currently as it's a little cooler I wear a polaris set & now where a set of polaris mtb shorts over the top.

Top Bottom