Bicycle Graveyard - Why are so many bikes end up underwater

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What's behind the mass drowning?

Nice little read HERE (Guardian link)

1658996079536.png

Chris S

Legendary Member
That looks like the Netherlands. Stolen bikes are thrown in the canal once they're no longer needed.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I didn't see the link. Just as I thought, it's a serious problem in the Netherlands as well:

In Amsterdam, drowned bikes were at one time heaped so high in the city’s 165 canals that they scraped the underside of flat-bottomed barges. The solution was fietsen vissen, “bicycle fishing”. In the old days, this task was accomplished by freelance scavengers who plied the canals in rowboats, using hooked poles to extract bikes, which were sold for scrap. In the 1960s, Amsterdam’s water agency assumed responsibility for bicycle fishing. These days, a corps of municipal workers trawl for drowned bikes on boats equipped with cranes attached to hydraulic claw grapples. The problem is not as severe as it once was, but fishers still pull 15,000 bicycles from the canals each year.

Read the article. It's a worldwide phenomenon. That picture is from France.

I did, pretty interesting. The game they describe where people would push their bike with no one on it I used to do as a kid, never into water though, we used to call it 'doing a ghosty'.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In summary, probably because an unfortunate proportion of those in any society are hateful, thieving, emotionally-retarded dickheads.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
only one shopping trolley I see.

Top Bottom