Bicycle Security - Research Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oglucas

Hi everyone,

I am carrying out research into bicycle security as part of a design project to come up with new innovative security solutions. I would be most grateful if you would spend one minute to fill out my short survey (only 10 multiple choice questions)

Many Thanks

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L9T7FWY

D

Deleted member 23692

Done but you need to have multi-choice options for more of the questions.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
As ever, trivial and poorly thought-out.
Done it, but it's utterly pointless.
If you're trying to redesign the bike lock, then why do you need to know my gender and what sort of bike(s) I'm trying to lock up?

OP
OP
O

Oglucas

As ever, trivial and poorly thought-out.
Done it, but it's utterly pointless.
If you're trying to redesign the bike lock, then why do you need to know my gender and what sort of bike(s) I'm trying to lock up?

Thank you for filling out the survey.
Gender is relavent with aesthetics. Types of bicycles used at locking points/docks provides data on most common bicycles that get locked up and also dimensions that any new solution would have to cater for or adapt to.

Thanks again

bianchi1

Guru
Done

Just to clarify I have stated that I don't use locks...this is not because I'm reckless, but just that I never leave my bike unattended out of my home.

Best of luck with your studies.

Done, though I can't figure out how or why drying facilities are a requirement for locking a bike.

Star Strider

My advice.

Leave cycling security related projects alone as it's been done to death and there is nothing new to invent.

If you want a secure bike you have to do what the vikings did and put your trust in large amounts of heavy cold hard steel, there is no way around it.

bianchi1

Guru
My advice.

Leave cycling security related projects alone as it's been done to death and there is nothing new to invent.

If you want a secure bike you have do what the vikings did and put your trust in large amounts of heavy cold hard steel, there is no way around it.

That's the spirit..it's that 'can do, innovation ' attitude that keeps mankind moving forward!

Judging by the amount of bike theft, cold hard steel it's working. Maybe one day someone will come up with something better....or we could just not bother.

Star Strider

That's the spirit..it's that 'can do, innovation ' attitude that keeps mankind moving forward!

Judging by the amount of bike theft, cold hard steel it's working. Maybe one day someone will come up with something better....or we could just not bother.
Designs need to be evolutionary not revolutionary.

I don't know why design course lecturers think the cycle security market is so ripe for inovation, you can hack things, tweak them but there is little to invent and anything you think you have developed all on your lonesome usually turns out to be under patent already.

It's not about not bothering - it's about these constant surveys that only lead to designs that already exist. Cycle security is a metallurgical problem and a social one, always has been.

Perhaps these courses should stop trying to invent new tat and come up with a decent affordable tracking device for bikes.

Done.

I think it might have been helpful
  1. to have defined 'bicycle locking point' (I thought it meant lamp-post :sad:)
  2. to have given more thought to the choices in Q2 :
  • Three time a week
  • Every two weeks

gavintc

Guru
Some bizarre questions. I think you have already decided your results as the questions were not sufficiently open. The final one made no sense. For example, I like the bike box things you see as the bike is hidden from view and potential thieves can only guess if a cheap MTB or a 5000 pound road bike is in there.

Equally, I lock up my bike at work, but when I take it our for a spin on a sunday, I park it next to the cafe - no locks and watch it.

Top Bottom