Bicycle User Groups - Terms of Reference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
For all my sins I've volunteered to co-ordinate a Bicycle User Group where I work. The main aims are to co-ordinate any issues that are raised and make sure they are addressed, make sure users are consulted with on any issues (i.e, new cycle parking facilities) and offer advice/assistance to anyone thinking of commuting.

If I can get enough support with hope we'll eventually look at promoting cycling/cycle training etc.

Does anyone have any BUG terms of reference they could share with me...?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
My place of work nicked these from Sheffield City Council, Jan '07ish. Should give you a starting point at least:

BICYCLE USERS GROUP
Terms of Reference

This is the document that states the purpose, scope and format of Sheffield City Council’s Bicycle Users Group (BUG).

Aim

The BUG takes action to encourage and support cycling within the Council.

Background

The group’s actions link in with the Council Travel Plan, which has an objective to: ‘Increase the proportion of journeys undertaken by sustainable transport’. This includes increasing the number of employee cycle journeys to/from and at work. The current target for increasing the proportion of employee cycle journeys to work is 3.2% to 4% by 2010.

Objectives

The Group will aim to bring about the following for people who travel to and from Council sites and on Council business:
1. Enabling of individuals in the Council to cycle – e.g. information about options, help with cycle maintenance / safety / cycle purchases.
2. Site facilities where needed (e.g. cycle parking, showers).
3. Improvements/enhancements in Sheffield city cycling infrastructure.
4. Council policy to support cycling for commuter and journeys on Council business.
5. Managers to support cycling as a travel option for journeys on Council business where appropriate.
6. Internal promotions to encourage people to take up cycling.

Responsibilities
The BUG has four roles:
• Investigate – Collect information, e.g. about internal cycling needs, opportunities, useful contacts, decision making processes, funding
• Act – Take action to address identified needs and opportunities where members have the means to do so
• Facilitate – Work with people outside of the group to address identified needs and opportunities
• Lobby – lobby individuals and groups who have the influence or power to effect change.

Membership

The membership of the group can change as and when new volunteers are found and others opt out. The types of people needed in the group are:
• Implementers / Budget holders – able to effect change, e.g. installing cycle parking.
• Influencers – able to influence implementers and budget holders
• Representatives – e.g. of different services/sites needs
• Activists – concerned with promoting cycling in general

Format

The BUG will operate around regular meetings, email correspondence and ultimately through individuals’ actions.
Meetings – Regular meetings held at monthly / six weekly periods will be used to focus the efforts of the BUG and provide a means to discuss complex issues and information. The Council Travel Plan Coordinator will chair the meetings. Minutes will be produced after each meeting detailing decisions made and a set of actions for individuals to carry out.
Email – Information can be exchanged and decisions made via email if a consensus is reached on particular issues or actions.
Individual efforts – BUG members will be expected to volunteer to contribute to the roles of the group (see above).

Top Bottom