Bicycles for small women

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys and gals

I am looking at bikes for my wife. She has no great desire to go fast or far and wants something comfortable to pootle on for local picnics and the like.

The spec I want is a upright, 3 or 5 speed 'cruiser' type bike. Trouble is she is only 4'10" and I hope to get the bike as a surprise for Christmas so no chance to try one. She did have a go on a Claude Butler Kensington in a 15" frame but it was still too big for her. The 700cc rims didn't help I think. I was wondering about getting a 24" wheel and assoc frame and am considering Electra and Pashley models available from Ridelow in Manchester. I am also hoping to keep it under 15kg and price less than £600.00.

Has anyone got any experience buying a bike for a petite adult female and can help me with some advice and/or point me to any other models worth considering.

Thanks in advance.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I know that this is not the answer you want but...............learn from my mistake. Don't get a surprise bike. Let her know you're getting her a bike for Christmas, check out the local shops and go down for a test ride. It's not as Christmassy, it's not as much fun, and I'm sure she'll love whatever you get, but, honestly, it's safer to check it out first. Sorry.

And......since you didn't ask, my mistake was to get pretty much the bike that you're thinking of. Susie thought it was beautiful but frustratingly unmanoeuvreable and slow. She moved on to a Dawes Discovery hybrid within a year, and now rides a Ruby Pro. So my next warning is - just bear in mind what this first bike could lead to.

I know that this is not the answer you want but...............learn from my mistake. Don't get a surprise bike. Let her know you're getting her a bike for Christmas, check out the local shops and go down for a test ride. It's not as Christmassy, it's not as much fun, and I'm sure she'll love whatever you get, but, honestly, it's safer to check it out first. Sorry.

I have to agree with this, unless your wife is very easy to please an unfussy, then I would choose a bike now with her to make sure she gets something she will love. But dont buy it now or hide till Christmas, it will be just as exciting if not more waiting for the day to see it again and use it (once you teased her by showing it to her)! :thumbsup:

Not the type of bike you were initially thinking of, but the Specialized Vita (several models available) is very good for petite women. Fitting a rack can be a bit complicated but it can be done.

I got one from Edinburgh Bike Co-op. They have a store in Manchester.

Top Bottom