Big crash this morning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

>PETE T

Throw the legal book at him - full works ! !

Jaded

Bollo said:
I felt happier doing this as the eventual payout was commensurate with what had happened rather than a lottery win.

You won't get a lottery win unless you have significant loss of earnings and similar.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
You won't get a lottery win unless you have significant loss of earnings and similar.

And if you've had significant loss of earnings, it won't feel like a lottery win...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Jaded said:
Its nice to think that, but there's no book to throw. There's no way the police will even consider anything criminal, so its an insurance job. The role of insurance is to compensate. The type and severity of the injury and the consequential losses are what you get the money for. That's the battleground. Insurance claims are not intended and can't be used to 'punish' anyone. The driver's only punishment occurs indirectly through any hike in his premiums.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
Anecdotally, drivers become much less friendly about paying for bike damage etc once they realise that it's gong to cost more than £25 - other people's experiences suggest that doing things "properly", for want of a better word, is the way to go from the off.

I agree - when I got knocked off (shunted from behind when I was turning right) the driver was all apologetic at the scene and gave me his phone number etc. I ummed and ahhed about claiming properly - I had a massive bruise on my arse and the accident really shook me up!

Decided against it - got the LBS to repair my bike - gave him the £30 bill and he said to my husband - "he didn't hit me that hard" and was obviously a bit annoyed at having to pay out! Stupid twunt - "that hard" is flipping hard when it is a car against your backside (and he wasn't going slow either!).

Funny enough I got doored this morning for the first time ever - struck me how essential the timing is on this type of accident - she caught me just as I was exactly parralell with her door so she actually only hit my arm. If I had been a split second later the door would have been open and I would have collided with it and/or her and would have at least had bruises!

It's a tricky one and I was filtering in a queue on the inside but it's about 20 feet from a cycle lane (the only one on my route) that takes you under the five ways island in Birmingham City Centre and as an earlier poster said it does say all over the HC to look out when opening your door.

(indicentally she was sorry and all I did was mutter ffs under my breath and go on my way!).

To the OP - hope you make a speedy recovery and sue the passenger for what he did (I presume it would be the passenger and not the driver?).

Smeggers

Few ambulances chasers in this neck of the woods isnt there?

Make a claim against his motor insurance for any out of pocket expenses you incur, that includes the bike, any time off due to injuries, petrol etc.

The word "compensation" stinks.

OP
OP
P

PETE T

Hi,

It was near the Zebra crossing by the montague arms pub.
I was heading towards Peckham.I really dont fancy going in to legal proceedings as I have one on the go already after I hit a pothole 2 years ago in Peckham!I smashed my face that time. Wifey wants me to get the train from now on!

Cheers

Pete

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Smeggers said:
Few ambulances chasers in this neck of the woods isnt there?

Regrettably, it seems that if you don't get legal bods involved, the driver starts backing off on the "I'm so sorry, let me know what your bike costs to fix, I'll cover it" pretty damned sharpish.

It would be nice if their word was their bond, but it seems not to be these days.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
So sorry - I'm confused - it's the passenger that opened the door so do you sue the passenger or do you really sue the driver? If it's the passenger it's not going to be against his insurance is it? ...or do you sue the driver anyway for his passenger's idiotic behaviour?

Confused!

U

User482

the reluctant cyclist said:
So sorry - I'm confused - it's the passenger that opened the door so do you sue the passenger or do you really sue the driver? If it's the passenger it's not going to be against his insurance is it? ...or do you sue the driver anyway for his passenger's idiotic behaviour?

Confused!

A friend of mine was knocked off a couple of years back in the same circumstances. Despite the passenger being at fault, the responsibility rests with the driver's insurance company. In my friend's case, they denied liability (claimed he shouldn't have been filtering) but he stuck to his guns, and they caved in shortly before it went to court. He got a very decent payout, but then he did have to have a knee operation and physio, and his bike was badly damaged.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Ah yes, the three way crossing by the adventure playground!
That whole one way system is mad enough to contend with let alone having some twit door you after the worst of it!

Don't give up on the commuting, we've all had crashes, scrapes and attempts made on our lives by the unthinking on our roads but this doesn't happen daily and the good that you are doing for yourself and others should far outweigh the bad.

Feel free to pop in for a cuppa sometime you're in the neighbourhood. :biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
PETE T said:
Hi,

It was near the Zebra crossing by the montague arms pub.
I was heading towards Peckham.I really dont fancy going in to legal proceedings as I have one on the go already after I hit a pothole 2 years ago in Peckham!I smashed my face that time. Wifey wants me to get the train from now on!

Cheers

Pete
If you get the right people in to help, it won't be anywhere near as grim as claiming against councils for potholes. That at least is an advantage to motor insurance, it gives you somewhere to aim your fire. Good legal help should limit your time and effort to a few phonecalls, a medical and a form or two. Ok, I had video evidence, but the whole process only lasted 4 months and probably took about 8 hours of my life, and half of that was getting to and from the medical.

Top Bottom