Big mistake - updating HP printer software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The HP Instant Ink is really good value.

I'm on an old HP Photosmart, but is quite happy on third party cartridges. It just grumbles that non HP is installed and you click OK, and it get's on with it. Warns you of ink levels, but usually runs a while longer before it runs out. My current cartridges are clear, so you can see the ink.

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Am I the only one wondering why a printer needs an update anyway? Surely if it prints (and/or scans) out-of-the-box, then, to coin a phrase, it should just be a job for life? My printer/scanner is a fairly basic, but clever jobby (Epson XP-605), but I can't see any reason why I'd ever need to update it's firmware!
You get updates because they can. Phones, computers, smart watches, GPS units etc. etc. all get updates and we don't question them. Being able to do updates in the field means you can release a product sooner and not worry about returns when they find out something doesn't work as they expected.
I used to work on in-car instrumentation and until about 2000, we would have about 3 or 4 updates over the lifetime of a product. Nowdays there is an update every couple of months.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Do you mind if I ask which Brother printer you have ?

Your model too, please ?
Brother HL-3150 CDW
Its a bit on the large size but it lives in a cupboard in the box room. This thread reminded me to get some spare toner as the last toner cartridge was replaced this week.
£42 including delivery for 2 Black and one each of C M Y.
EDIT to add that the toner cartridges state 2,200 pages for the CMY Cartridges and 2,500 pages for each Black (K) cartridge.

Last edited:

irw

Quadricyclist
You get updates because they can. Phones, computers, smart watches, GPS units etc. etc. all get updates and we don't question them. Being able to do updates in the field means you can release a product sooner and not worry about returns when they find out something doesn't work as they expected.
I used to work on in-car instrumentation and until about 2000, we would have about 3 or 4 updates over the lifetime of a product. Nowdays there is an update every couple of months.

I get that - I usually work in a fairly technical field myself, where updates have their place, but off the back of what you say about being able to release a product sooner and deal with problems down the line, my point is that a printer (or indeed any 'basic' appliance that has a sole purpose in life, eg fridge, microwave, @Accy cyclist 's boiler, etc.) should be able to do is full job from day 1. If it can't, it's not really fit for purpose!

For what it's worth, any updates my computer/smart watch/phone get do get questioned, to a degree- insofar as I don't let them do it automatically. I'll let the automatic bridgade 'test' the updates first ;) When I'm on tour
and away from home for three months, the last thing I need is for an update to break something!

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
@irw I'm not saying it's right. Anything that doesn't have a connection to the outside world should work straight out of the box.
I bought a very cheap smart watch (it does time, step count and heart rate) and the first thing it did when paired to my phone was to update its firmware. Yes, it did work without the update. What was changed though was a complete unknown.
I always try to hold back on updates to stuff on my PC, phone etc. The default on most things is to update automatically and you can't always change this. Win10 is probably the worst offender that I know of (you can delay updates but can't select which ones to accept/decline)

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Resurecting this old thread because they got me again!

Even with updates turned off, somehow the printer updated with the November 2021 firmware yesterday evening. This time they've managed to disable the downgrade option (even when it's enabled on the printer menu).
There is however another method here using FTP which is a whole load more complex than the original fix but at least it works.

Hope this might be of use to anyone who faces similar problems with their HP printer even if it's a different model.

classic33

Leg End Member
I would love to know how you can be sure that a printer will accept 3rd party cartridges BEFORE you have actually bought the thing. Given that the supplied (fairly empty) cartridges will likely last long enough to be outside the normal return to vendor timeframe, I would imagine returning on the basis of "not fit for..." is going to be difficult.

HP have lots of settings that you have to get right:
1. Autoupdate: Default is ON...
1. Allow updates [to the firmware]: Needs to be ON to install the downgrade, but OFF to prevent further upgrades
2. Cartridge policy: Turn to ON to allow only genuine HP cartridges. Setting this to OFF doesn't allow 3rd party cartridges either.
3. Cartridge protection: ON prevents cartridges being used in another printer
4. Very low setting (ink level): STOP is the default. Other (more useful) options are PROMPT, or CONTINUE
5. Low ink level: 1 - 100%. Default seems to be 10%
There may be more.........
Ask the question before buying. If the answer is "Yes" the shop have covered by "implied usage".

Gunk

Guru
Epson Ecotank is the way to go.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Still using a HP Deskjet 959C, bought in 2002. I don't print much, I think it's on the sixth or seventh set of cartridges- certainly in single figures. You can still get HP original cartridges, I switched to remanufactured ones on the set before last. It ain't broke, it prints very nicely, so I'll stick with it.

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Ask the question before buying. If the answer is "Yes" the shop have covered by "implied usage".
Trouble is that the HP strategy means that they are continuously moving the goal posts. The small(ish) print with the HP update states:
The printer is intended to work only with new or reused cartridges that have a new or reused HP chip or circuitry. Periodic firmware updates will maintain the effectiveness of the dynamic security measures and block cartridges that previously worked.

So how new is "new" and what changes might cause cartridges to be blocked some time after you have bought a new set of cartridges. Especially relevant for most home users when the cartidges are good for 3000+ pages.

By default, HP updates are automatic and you only know the result after the update is in place. There's no official way to go back to an older version if you get caught.

Top Bottom