Bigger front tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I haven't ever come across that nomenclature. I've seen semi-slick etc, but not low profile. Which company does that?
No one . The op said that they appeared "low profile".

MTB tyres vary hugely in tread pattern and construction. In general the knobbly section is bonded or laminated onto a basic tubular carcas. Sidewall construction does vary, and the outer edge knobblies' shape and placement can change the overall shape and appearance of the tyre. Add in different pressures and rim widths and some of us can understand what he meant.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi, I've been away a while but have just got myself an mtb to play around with over the winter evenings and keep the roadie purely for weekend day rides.

I am wondering about tyres, as the bike came with a pair of Python 2's which seem quite 'low profile' and fast rolling, but various bits that I have read over the last few weeks seems to suggest that a fatter, knobblier tyre on the front may be worth thinking about as things get a bit muddier over the next few months.

Is it really the done thing to mix and match front and rear tyres in this way, and can anyone make any suggestions?
in the 'old' days on MTBing (e.g 80s and 90s) it was quite common to see a larger width tyre on the front than the rear. These days it's much less common - I haven't seen it for years actually. Peaple ride the same width front and back these days.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
in the 'old' days on MTBing (e.g 80s and 90s) it was quite common to see a larger width tyre on the front than the rear. These days it's much less common - I haven't seen it for years actually. Peaple ride the same width front and back these days.

Quite a few riders are still using a bigger grippier front tyre and a smaller more rounded rear tyre, especially on hardtails. Many ship with a 2.4 front and 2.25 rear but as I said before the choice is purely personal.

Maxxis do for a couple of tyres, but as you mentioned that technically using 'low profile' to describe height/depth of tread is incorrect and I was trying to say that the vernacular is widely used/accepted.
That's OK, it was just the first time I've seen the term used like that. I now understand.

Motozulu

Über Member
I don't know a single rider that hasn't got a bigger tyre on the front than on the back. You want the grip on the front - not the back!

Faster rolling rear - grippier front, my perfect all year combo is Nobby nic 2.25 rear and a Magic Mary 2.35 front. I like to be able to slide the back out.

Front...definitely not!

Top Bottom