Bikability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
do we have one of these threads already @mods?
My boy has just got a place on a two day bikability thing at school :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think you meant to ask @Moderators ?

Manual downloadable at http://bikeability.dft.gov.uk/ IIRC. There's also a providers database which has never worked for me (mostly dead or irrelevant links returned).

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
They've sent a few prereqs about the state of the bike, which shouldn't be a challenge though it is getting a bit small for him.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Are they forcing special clothing? (if you know what I mean - I don't want to get into a full H+H debate here)

Drago

Legendary Member
As soon as my lass is riding she'll have advanced road, off road, control skills, FAST aid and defensive tactics training, courtesy of a Dad with far too much time on his hands.

Going back to topic, thats good news Tinny, hope it goes well for the wee man.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Passed level one, failed level two - though I don't know why, and I don't know what the levels are.

Either way, I was happy he did the course and could retort to his mum "But I went on the road, and I didn't die." :smile:

mjr

The levels are in the manual I linked earlier. Broadly, level 1 is basic safe control of the bike, level 2 is good enough for short rides on quiet roads or supervised rides elsewhere, level 3 is on their own on busier roads.

If they don't reach level 2 standard we send them home with a letter saying what they need to improve on to reach it. In my experience the most common reasons are lack of observation i.e doing U turns without checking behind or road position i.e turning into the wrong lane out of junctions.
It's always a bit subjective, I tend to decide based on 'if it was my kid, would I let them ride on quiet roads on there own'. Averaged out over different schools I'd say about 60% achieve L2.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
The levels are in the manual I linked earlier. Broadly, level 1 is basic safe control of the bike, level 2 is good enough for short rides on quiet roads or supervised rides elsewhere, level 3 is on their own on busier roads.

Sure, I get the basic difference - can you operate the bike, can you ride on the road.

I'll wait for the letter, which is probably scrunched up at the bottom of some other kids bag if history is any guide(!)

He was pretty upset about failing L2, but overall the experience was good for him. He's good with rules, so he'll have consumed them, it will just be enacting them that requires practice.

Drago

Legendary Member
Tinny, if it's any consolation I've had a few Bikeability trainers turn up on my courses full of themselves, only for me to fail them (although some were excellent riders and deservedly passed).

Top Bottom