Bike Advice - Indoor Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spcyc

Looking to get started doing some indoor training using a 'smart trainer' to complement the resistance training I already do 3 times per week.

I am fairly settled on buying a used Tacx Flow as I have read good review and understand the integration with Zwift is good with cadence figures etc. If someone can add their opinion to this it would be much appreciated or any alternatives I may have missed.

The sticking point is the bike I would used on the trainer. It won't go on the road, only for use on the trainer. I have had a road bike previously however, I no longer have that hence the need to buy a bike for it. Essentially looking for the cheapest bike that will do the job.

Any further advice or considerations you may have are much appreciated.

TIA

Buck

Guru
I had a Tacx smart trainer before I upgraded to the Neo 2T

I use my old road bike on it which is essentially 2x10 speed. You would be able to find one on eBay / Facebook marketplace that will be more than adequate, especially if it is only for the turbo.

The most important thing IMO is to get a bike that fits you well as indoor riding is more ‘rigid’ than outdoor and you don’t get the same level of movement/relief that you would riding on the road.

If you can find a second hand bike that is a good fit then you are good to go. The gearing is less important as you don’t vary that much in Zwift - I find I tend to use the middle gears the most with an occasional low gear for sprinting here and there.

Top Bottom